Champions League Preview: Paris Saint-Germain - Valencia
The Ligue 1 leaders suffered a shock defeat at the weekend, but will be hoping to book a spot in the last eight for the first time since 1994-95 against Ernesto Valverde's men
By Mohammed Ali
Jallet, Alex, Sakho, Maxwell
Lucas Moura, Matuidi, Chantome, Pastore
Pereira, Victor Ruiz, Mathieu, Guardado
Parejo, T Costa
Feghouli, Banega, Jonas
Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti is without suspended duo Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Marco Verratti for the Champions League clash against Valencia on Wednesday.
Ibrahimovic's red card in stoppage time in the first leg sees him banned for two games by UEFA, though the French club has appealed a possible ban for the quarterfinals. The Swede, who featured in the shocking 1-0 defeat to Reims at the weekend, is set to be replaced by Kevin Gameiro.
Verratti's replacement is undecided however. David Beckham is in line to make his first Champions League appearance since a 4-0 defeat for AC Milan to Manchester United in 2010, with Clement Chantome also in the mix.
Thiago Silva is unlikely to be thrown straight back into action, as Ancelotti is expected to make do with Mamadou Sakho and Alex, with Christophe Jallet on the brink of a return ahead of a disappointing Gregory van der Wiel.
Meanwhile, Valencia coach Ernesto Valverde is set to play Frenchman Jeremy Mathieu in defense for the trip to Paris following injuries to Ricardo Costa and Adil Rami, both of whom are not in the 19-man group.
Sofiane Feghouli - born in Paris - should play, with Roberto Soldado leading the line as the Spaniards aim to put an end to PSG's dream of Wembley.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Paris Saint-Germain, which last made it into the quarterfinals in 1994-95, has won its last five games in the competition.
- The Ligue 1 leaders are unbeaten in 22 home fixtures in Europe, since a 4-2 defeat to Hapoel Tel Aviv in 2006.
- Les Parisiens have scored all 16 of their Champions League goals inside the box.
- The next goal PSG concedes will be the 50th against the club in Champions League/European Cup history.
- Valencia's first-leg defeat ended a 17-game unbeaten run against Ligue 1 opposition.
- On the three occasions that Valencia has suffered a first-leg defeat in UEFA competition, it has gone on to lose every tie.
- Ernesto Valverde will be hoping to steer the club to its first quarterfinal since 2006-07, when it was eliminated by Chelsea.
- Thiago Silva, Blaise Matuidi (PSG) and Antonio Barragan, Vicente Guaita and Tino Costa are all within a booking of suspension.
Top 3 Predictions
PSG 2-1 Valencia
- 18.62 %
PSG 2-0 Valencia
- 17.45 %
PSG 3-1 Valencia
- 10.16 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Mar 6, 2013||PSG 1 - Valencia 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Feb 12, 2013||Valencia 1 - PSG 2|
|Mar 2, 2014||PSG 2 - Marseille 0||Lig1|
|Feb 23, 2014||Toulouse FC 2 - PSG 4||Lig1|
|Feb 18, 2014||Leverkusen 0 - PSG 4||UCL|
|Feb 14, 2014||PSG 3 - Valenciennes FC 0||Lig1|
|Feb 9, 2014||AS Monaco FC 1 - PSG 1||Lig1|
|23||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
|18||Jose Andrés Guardado||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed