Champions League Preview: Schalke - Galatasaray
Jens Keller's side recorded a 2-1 win over Borussia Dortmund on Saturday, and will be optimistic against the Turkish champion, having sealed a 1-1 draw in Istanbul.
By Enis Koylu
Uchida, Howedes, Matip, Kolasinac
Farfan, Draxler, Bastos
Sabri, Semih, Nounkeu, Riera
Hamit, Melo, Selcuk
Schalke's hopes of making the quarterfinals have been dealt a blow following an injury to Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, who was stretchered off against Borussia Dortmund on Saturday with a knee injury. Teemu Pukki should start in his place, with Ciprian Marica out and Raffael cup tied.
Elsewhere, Kyriakos Papadopoulos remains sidelined, while youngster Sead Kolasinac could start ahead of Christian Fuchs at left back.
Marco Hoger should start in midfield thanks to Jermaine Jones' suspension, but Ibrahim Afellay is still recovering from a thigh injury.
Meanwhile, Galatasaray will welcome Didier Drogba back into the starting lineup after the Ivorian started Friday's 1-0 defeat to Genclerbirligi on the bench.
Felipe Melo should also slot back into midfield in the place of Yekta Kurtulus, having missed the Turk Telekom Arena reverse though suspension.
Danny Nounkeu should return to the heart of defense ahead of Gokhan Zan, but Tomas Ujfalusi remains injured. Sabri Sarioglu and Emmanuel Eboue will compete for the right back slot.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Schalke has won its last three games, having failed to emerge victorious in all but one of the previous 13.
- Despite the disappointing Bundesliga season, the Konigsblauen are one of three teams unbeaten in the Champions League this season.
- Benedikt Howedes and Roman Neustadter have played every minute of S04's Champions League campaign this season.
- Two of Galatasaray's three European wins this season have come on the road - at Cluj and Braga.
- Star midfielder Hamit Altintop started his career with Schalke before moving on to Bayern Munich in 2007.
- Burak Yilmaz (pictured, right) became the first Turk to represent four different clubs in the Champions League this season, having previously turned out for Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Trabzonspor.
Top 3 Predictions
Schalke 04 2-1 Galatasaray
- 23.55 %
Schalke 04 1-2 Galatasaray
- 21.39 %
Schalke 04 2-0 Galatasaray
- 7.58 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Mar 12, 2013||Schalke 04 2 - Galatasaray 3|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Feb 20, 2013||Galatasaray 1 - Schalke 04 1|
|Apr 20, 2014||Stuttgart 3 - Schalke 04 1||BUN|
|Apr 11, 2014||Schalke 04 2 - Eintracht 0||BUN|
|Apr 5, 2014||Werder Bremen 1 - Schalke 04 1||BUN|
|Mar 28, 2014||Schalke 04 2 - Hertha BSC 0||BUN|
|Mar 25, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Schalke 04 0||BUN|
|9||Michel Fernandes Bastos||Midfielder|
|17||Jefferson Agustin Farfán||Striker|
|19||Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi||Striker|
|25||Néstor Muslera Micol||Goalkeeper|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed