World Cup Qualifying Preview: Jamaica - USA
The Americans are coming off a confidence-lifting win over Germany, while the Reggae Boyz look to bounce back from a home qualifying loss to Mexico.
By Avi Creditor
|Jamaica (4-1-4-1): Ricketts; Powell, Mariappa, Woodbine, Gordon; Austin, Hue, McCleary, Elliott, Watson; Johnson||
Team News: 18-year-old right back Alvas Powell was handed his Jamaica debut against Mexico and had an adventure, with a foul throw-in garnering attention and the Mexico goal emanating from down his channel. Manager Theodore Whitmore's side boasts four MLS players, including captain and goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, midfielder JeVaughn Watson and forwards Ryan Johnson and Darren Mattocks.
|USA (4-2-3-1): Howard; Evans, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley; Bradley, Jones; Zusi, Dempsey, F. Johnson; Altidore.
Team News: The USA, playing without the likes of first-team regulars Landon Donovan, Steve Cherundolo, Timmy Chandler and Carlos Bocanegra, begins a stretch of three World Cup qualifiers in 11 days. The team's next two matches against Panama and Honduras will be played in Seattle and Salt Lake City, respectively. Forward Herculez Gomez (knee) is an injury doubt to play Friday. Fabian Johnson (hamstring) was subbed off at halftime against Germany as a precautionary measure but is expected to be ready.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The USA broke out against Germany in a friendly last Sunday, with a 4-3 victory being spearheaded by two goals from Clint Dempsey, one by Jozy Altidore and an own goal by German goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen
- Altidore's goal was his first with the USA since a November 2011 penalty kick against Slovenia and his first in the run of play since Jurgen Klinsmann became manager.
- Dempsey is now second behind Landon Donovan on the USA's all-time goal-scoring list, with 35 international goals.
- Jamaica beat the USA in Kingston in the previous round of qualifying, taking a 2-1 result at National Stadium on Sept. 7 for its first-ever win over the Americans. Dempsey's goal 36 seconds in -- the fastest in USA World Cup qualifying history -- was offset by tallies from Rodolph Austin and Luton Shelton.
- Four days later the USA got revenge with a 1-0 victory in Columbus, Ohio, on the strength of a Herculez Gomez free kick. The USA won the teams' group, topping the Reggae Boyz by three points.
- Jamaica currently sits last in the CONCACAF Hexagonal, with two points from four matches (0-2-2) after a 1-0 home loss to Mexico on Tuesday. The USA has four points from three matches and is currently in fourth place.
Top 3 Predictions
Jamaica 0-2 USA
- 18.42 %
Jamaica 1-2 USA
- 17.9 %
Jamaica 1-3 USA
- 12.11 %
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Oct 11, 2013||USA 2 - Jamaica 0|
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Jun 7, 2013||Jamaica 1 - USA 2|
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Sep 11, 2012||USA 1 - Jamaica 0|
|WCQ 2014 (Concacaf) (WCQN)||Sep 7, 2012||Jamaica 2 - USA 1|
|Gold Cup (GC)||Jun 19, 2011||Jamaica 0 - USA 2|
|Nov 19, 2013||Trinidad & Tobago 2 - Jamaica 0||FR|
|Nov 15, 2013||Jamaica 0 - Trinidad & Tobago 1||FR|
|Oct 15, 2013||Jamaica 2 - Honduras 2||WCQN|
|Oct 11, 2013||USA 2 - Jamaica 0||WCQN|
|Sep 10, 2013||Jamaica 1 - Costa Rica 1||WCQN|
|-||Jermaine Chistopher Hue||Midfielder|
|-||Jeremie Dwayne Lynch||Midfielder|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed