MLS Preview: LA Galaxy - San Jose Earthquakes
The California Clasico has already offered up a series of classics this season. Now the rivals face twice in four days in the playoffs.
By Zac Lee Rigg
|LA Galaxy (4-4-2): Saunders; Franklin, Meyers, Gonzalez, Dunivant; Sarvas, Beckham, Juninho, Magee, Keane, Donovan.||
OUT: DF A.J. DeLaGarza (L knee sprain); DF Leonardo (R knee inflammation); MF Kyle Nakazawa (back spasms)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Sean Franklin (L hamstring tightness); DF David Junior Lopes (facial fracture); MF Christian Wilhelmsson (R quad tightness)
|San Jose Earthquakes (4-4-2): Busch; Beitashour, Hernandez, Bernardez, Morrow; Chavez, Baca, Cronin, Corrales; Lenhart, Wondolowski.||
OUT: MF Mehdi Ballouchy (L knee ACL tear); MF Jacob Hustedt (L ankle surgery); DF Tim Ward (L non-specific soft tissue injury)
QUESTIONABLE: FW Alan Gordon (R ankle sprain)
PROBABLE: MF Cesar Diaz Pizarro (R groin strain); Simon Dawkins (R ankle sprain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The three matches between these California rivals in the regular season featured 16 goals total, with the 'Quakes coming back from behind to win two. They drew the final meeting 2-2.
- Mike Magee has scored four goals and assisted twice in 17 career games against San Jose. He has scored five goals in his last six playoff appearances. The 28-year-old scored the equalizing goal in the Galaxy's 2-1 comeback win over the Vancouver Whitecaps in the Knockout Round on Thursday.
- Landon Donovan, who formerly played for the Earthquakes, finished second in the league with 14 assists. He scored nine goals during the regular season, and added a penalty to oust the Whitecaps.
- Alan Gordon, himself a former Galaxy striker, had the best goals per 90 minutes in the league, at 0.90. He finished with 13 goals.
- Chris Wondolowski tied the all-time MLS record with 27 goals. Robbie Keane was fourth in the league with 16 goals. Marvin Chavez tied for third with 13 assists.
Top 3 Predictions
Los Angeles Galaxy 2-1 San Jose Earthquakes
- 32.35 %
Los Angeles Galaxy 2-0 San Jose Earthquakes
- 8.82 %
Los Angeles Galaxy 3-2 San Jose Earthquakes
- 8.82 %
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Oct 20, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Aug 31, 2013||Los Angeles Galaxy 3 - San Jose Earthquakes 0|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Jun 29, 2013||San Jose Earthquakes 3 - Los Angeles Galaxy 2|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 7, 2012||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 3|
|USA - Major League Soccer (MLS)||Nov 4, 2012||Los Angeles Galaxy 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 1|
|Los Angeles Galaxy|
|Apr 19, 2014||Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2 - Los Angeles Galaxy 2||MLS|
|Apr 12, 2014||Los Angeles Galaxy 1 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 0||MLS|
|Apr 6, 2014||Chivas USA 0 - Los Angeles Galaxy 3||MLS|
|Mar 22, 2014||Real Salt Lake 1 - Los Angeles Galaxy 1||MLS|
|Mar 18, 2014||Club Tijuana 4 - Los Angeles Galaxy 2||CCL|
|San Jose Earthquakes|
|Apr 19, 2014||Colorado Rapids 0 - San Jose Earthquakes 0||MLS|
|Apr 13, 2014||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - Columbus Crew 1||MLS|
|Mar 29, 2014||San Jose Earthquakes 1 - New England Revolution 2||MLS|
|Mar 22, 2014||Sporting Kansas City 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 0||MLS|
|Mar 19, 2014||Toluca 1 - San Jose Earthquakes 1||CCL|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed