International Friendly Preview: Sweden - England
With seven uncapped players among the Three Lions' 23-man squad, Roy Hodgson will be keen to gain a mixture between experience and youth against Erik Hamren's charges
By Alex Young
Lustig, Granqvist, J Olsson, Safari
Larsson, Elm, Kallstrom, Kacaniklic
Johnson, Cahill, Shawcross, Baines
Osman, Gerrard, Huddlestone, Cleverley
Watch this game on LIVESPORT.TV
Sweden head coach Erik Hamren is not expected to tinker too much during this friendly, with the squad very similar to that of the selection which faced Germany and Faroe Islands.
Fulham youngster Alexander Kacaniklic could be in line for his fourth appearance after impressing at Craven Cottage this season after a successful loan spell at Watford last term.
Striker Mathias Ranegie will be hoping to his three caps after returning to the Sweden fold during the last round of qualifiers.
Due to a flux of withdrawals following the domestic schedule at the weekend, Roy Hodgson has had to rethink his plans with five players pulling out due to injury.
Uncapped Wilfred Zaha has been added to add to the six other possible debutants. Tom Huddlestone will be looking to add to this three caps - the last coming in May 2010.
Ryan Shawcross and Leon Osman are likely to be handed their first appearances for England, with Carl Jenkinson - who has represented Finland at youth level - expected to feature as a substitute.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (pictured, right) is two goals shy of Sweden legend Henrik Larsson's international tally of 39 and third in the all-time top goalscorers list.
- The last time these two teams faced each other in a Sweden-based friendly, Ibrahimovic scored the only goal in a 1-0 win in March 2004.
- If selected, Sunderland winger Sebastian Larsson will be making his 50th appearance for the Blagult.
- These two teams faced each other in the group stage of Euro 2012, with two late goals from Theo Walcott and Danny Welbeck securing a 3-2 win for the Three Lions.
- England has beaten Sweden in their last two encounters but, before then, had not bested the Scandinavians in 13 matches - dating back to 1968.
- If he makes the field, Wilfred Zaha will become the first Championship player to represent England since Jay Bothroyd in November 2010.
- Captain Steven Gerrard is in line to make his 100th appearance for England and become only to sixth player to reach a century of caps for the side.
- There are seven players in Roy Hodgson's squad who are uncapped, including Finland Under-21 right back Carl Jenkinson, Everton midfielder Leon Osman and Jamaican-born winger Raheem Sterling.
Top 3 Predictions
Sweden 1-2 England
- 14.9 %
Sweden 2-1 England
- 12.22 %
Sweden 1-3 England
- 10.07 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||Nov 14, 2012||Sweden 4 - England 2|
|European Championship Qualification 2012 (EC)||Jun 15, 2012||Sweden 2 - England 3|
|International Friendlies (FR)||Nov 15, 2011||England 1 - Sweden 0|
|World Cup 2006 (WC)||Jun 20, 2006||Sweden 2 - England 2|
|Mar 26, 2013||Slovakia 0 - Sweden 0||FR|
|Mar 22, 2013||Sweden 0 - Ireland Republic 0||WCQE|
|Feb 6, 2013||Sweden 2 - Argentina 3||FR|
|Jan 26, 2013||Sweden 3 - Finland 0||FR|
|Jan 23, 2013||Sweden 1 - Korea DPR (PRK) 1||FR|
|-||Pontus Sven Gustav Jansson||Defender|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed