Europa League Preview: Panathinaikos - Tottenham
After drawing 0-0 with Lazio in its first game, the north London club is hopeful of victory over the Greens as it looks to secure a first win in the Europa League group stage.
By Chris Teale
Vyntra, Boumsong, Velaquez, Spyropoulos
Christodoulopoulos, Mavrias, Vitolo, Zeca Sissoko
Walker, Caulker, Naughton, Vertonghen
Lennon, Dempsey, Bale
Panathinaikos is likely to go for a full-strength side as it welcomes Spurs to the Olympic Stadium. The Greeks are likely to go with one up front, with Bruno Fornaroi likely to lead the line, and will be hopeful their midfield will be a match for Spurs, especially their young exciting winger Lazaros Christdoulopoulos.
The away side should also look to go with a relatively strong team as it searches for a first win in the group stage.
Hugo Lloris may well see some playing time in goal for Spurs, having also played in the first group game against Lazio. Jermain Defoe should continue to play up front alone, with support coming primarily from Clint Dempsey.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Panathinaikos has only tasted victory against English opposition once, with that win coming against Arsenal in 2001 in the group stages of the Champions League.
- The Greeks have not scored in their last three European games, but have not conceded a goal at home in Europe this season.
- Panathinaikos striker Sebastian Leto spent two years at Liverpol, but never made an appearance in the Premier League due to problems with his passport and his application for a work permit being rejected.
- These teams have never played each other before.
- Tottenham has conceded just one goal in its last four away games in Europe, with that goal coming in a 1-0 defeat to Rubin Kazan in the group stage last season.
- Spurs midfielder Aaron Lennon (pictured right) set a record in 2001 of being the youngest player ever to have his boots sponsored when he signed a contract with Adidas at the age of 14.
- Tottenham has played four games against Greek opposition, including two last season against PAOK in last season's Europa League group stage, but has never scored in Greece.
Top 3 Predictions
Panathinaikos 1-2 Tottenham
- 18.02 %
Panathinaikos 0-2 Tottenham
- 17.45 %
Panathinaikos 1-3 Tottenham
- 12.43 %
|Europa League (EL)||Dec 6, 2012||Tottenham 3 - Panathinaikos 1|
|Europa League (EL)||Oct 4, 2012||Panathinaikos 1 - Tottenham 1|
|Apr 13, 2014||Xanthi 3 - Panathinaikos 1||GRE1|
|Apr 6, 2014||Panathinaikos 3 - Levadeiakos 1||GRE1|
|Mar 29, 2014||Atromitos 0 - Panathinaikos 0||GRE1|
|Mar 26, 2014||Panathinaikos 3 - AEL Kallonis 0||GRE1|
|Mar 22, 2014||Panathinaikos 3 - Apollon Smyrnis 1||GRE1|