Europa League Preview: Newcastle - Bordeaux
Alan Pardew's side will look to secure its first victory of the Europa League group stages against the Ligue 1 outfit, which is unbeaten so far this season.
By Nicholas McGee
Tavernier, Perch, Williamson, Santon
Ben Arfa, Vuckic, Ferguson
FC GIRONDINS DE BORDEAUX
Chalme, Planus, Henrique
Saivet, Obraniak, Plasil, Marange
Newcastle goes into its second game of the Europa League group stages facing a plethora of injury concerns. Steven Taylor (calf) looks set to miss out, while Fabrico Coloccini (thigh) will also be unavailable.
Tim Krul (elbow) will play no part, and Danny Simpson (hamstring) is still yet to return to full fitness. Ryan Taylor (knee-ligaments) is a long term absentee, and it remains to be seen how long Yohan Cabaye (mouth) will spend on the sidelines after sustaining an infection while having a wisdom tooth removed.
Bordeaux has a number of absentees itself. Midfielder Gregory Sertic (thigh) is set to miss out, Nicolas Maurice-Belay (thigh) is unavailable for at least the next three weeks, while Landry N'Guemo (neck) and Fahid Ben Khalfallah (illness) are not expected to play any part.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle has faced French opposition on six occasions in European competition, winning just twice against Metz and Sochaux, and suffering defeats to Bastia, Monaco, Troyes and Marseille.
- If former Bordeaux man Gabriel Obertan plays for Newcastle on Thursday, it will mark the first time he has appeared against Les Girondins since leaving for Manchester United in 2009.
- Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa is just two European appearances away from 50 in his career.
- Most of Newcastle's French contingent is familiar with Bordeaux, but midfielder Romain Amalfitano has never played against the 2009 Ligue 1 champion.
- Thursday's clash will be Newcastle's 100th in UEFA competition. Of the 99 it has played so far it has won 57, drawn 18 and lost 24.
- Bordeaux is unbeaten in Ligue 1 so far this season, and has not lost in any competitive fixture in 17 matches.
- Many former Bordeaux players have gone on to play in England, including Christophe Dugarry, Sylvain Wiltord and Marouane Chamakh. Former midfielder Jean Tigana managed Fulham from 2000-03.
- Bordeaux pair Mathieu Chalme and Ludovic Obraniak played with Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye during their time at Lille.
- Les Girondins have played at the Stade Chaban-Delmas since 1938. The 34,000 capacity stadium was initially opened as a cycle track but was renovated for the 1938 World Cup. Bordeaux plan to move to a new 43,000-seater stadium in 2015, with construction due to start next year.
- Bordeaux finished as UEFA Cup runner-up in 1996, overcoming AC Milan in the quarterfinals before falling to Bayern Munich 5-1 on aggregate in the final.
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle 2-0 Bordeaux
- 21.53 %
Newcastle 2-1 Bordeaux
- 19.62 %
Newcastle 1-1 Bordeaux
- 10.05 %
|Europa League (EL)||Dec 6, 2012||Bordeaux 2 - Newcastle 0|
|Europa League (EL)||Oct 4, 2012||Newcastle 3 - Bordeaux 0|
|Dec 14, 2013||Newcastle 1 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Manchester United 0 - Newcastle 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Swansea City 3 - Newcastle 0||EPL|
|Nov 30, 2013||Newcastle 2 - West Bromwich 1||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Newcastle 2 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
|14||Cheick Tidiane Diabaté||Striker|