Champions League Preview: Manchester City - Real Madrid
The winners of the Premier League and La Liga face off at the Etihad on Wednesday, with the English side needing a win to keep its faint dreams of reaching the last 16 alive
By Tom J Doyle
Zabaleta, Kompany, Nastasic, Kolarov
Nasri, Y Toure, Barry, Silva
Arbeloa, Ramos, Pepe, Coentrao
Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo
Gael Clichy injured his ankle during Manchester City's 5-0 win over Aston Villa at the weekend and could be replaced by Aleksandar Kolarov at left back.
Joleon Lescott (back) and James Milner (hamstring) are still out for City, with no set return dates from injury.
Micah Richards (knee) is sidelined until December, although Samir Nasri could shake off illness and Jack Rodwell (hamstring) is back in contention for a place in the vital match, albeit with slim chances.
Matija Nastasic (knee) played the full 90 minutes at the weekend and should retain his place in centre of defence.
Real Madrid's main injury concerns are Gonzalo Higuain (thigh) and Marcelo (broken foot), with both unable to feature for the visitors.
Other than those two injuries, Jose Mourinho has a full squad at his disposal.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Only two teams have recovered from a position such as Manchester City's to qualify for the latter stages: Lokomotiv Moskow with one point after four games in 2002-03 and Porto with two points in 2004-05.
- The only previous meeting between the sides occurred in September, with Real Madrid fighting back to beat City 3-2.
- The Blues are 19 games unbeaten at home in UEFA competition (qualifying included), winning 14 and drawing five since a 1-0 UEFA Cup loss to FC Midtjylland in 2008.
- The English champions have been caught offside 22 times in Europe this season, more than any other club.
- Cristiano Ronaldo (pictured right) appeared in 11 derbies for Manchester United against City, winning seven and losing three. He scored four goals but was twice sent off at the City of Manchester Stadium.
- Ronaldo has found the net 14 times in his last 11 Champions League appearances.
- Los Blancos are making their fifth visit to Manchester. They won 1-0 at Tottenham on their last visit to England, and have won four, drawn two, and lost five in the country.
- Borussia Dortmund's first goal against Madrid in the 2-2 draw on was the 200th Madrid has conceded in the Champions League.
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City 1-3 Real Madrid
- 19.18 %
Manchester City 1-2 Real Madrid
- 14.51 %
Manchester City 2-1 Real Madrid
- 12.33 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 21, 2012||Manchester City 1 - Real Madrid 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 18, 2012||Real Madrid 3 - Manchester City 2|
|Dec 10, 2013||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 3||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Southampton 1 - Manchester City 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||West Bromwich 2 - Manchester City 3||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Manchester City 3 - Swansea City 0||EPL|
|Nov 27, 2013||Manchester City 4 - FC Viktoria Plzeň 2||UCL|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|