Champions League Preview: Barcelona - Celtic
After recording their first ever away win in the Champions League proper, the Bhoys will be looking to continue the trend, but the talent of the Spanish side may prove too much.
By Alex Young
Montoya, Song, Mascherano, Alba
Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta
Alexis, Messi, Villa
Lustig, Wilson, Mulgrew, Izaguirre
Forrest, Ledley, Commons
Sergio Busquets will serve the first of a two-match ban for his red card against Benfica, Xavi started the weekend's game against Deportivo on the bench and will likely come into midfield for his fellow Spain international.
Gerard Pique (ankle) and Carles Puyol (elbow) are missing from the heart of the Blaugrana's defense, Alex Song was the latest to partner Javier Mascherano at the back at the weekend, and will likely continue.
Dani Alves (hamstring) is also still working his way back to fitness so youngster Martin Montoya will continue at right back.
James Forrest (groin) and Scott Brown (hip) pulled out of Scotland's squad for the recent international break and then sat out Celtic's 5-0 win over St Mirren on Saturday with injury concerns, but are expected to feature from the off at Camp Nou.
Kris Commons (hamstring) also missed the league game at the weekend after featuring for the Tartan Army but is expected to regain fitness for the trip to Spain.
Mikael Lustig and Emilio Izaguirre started on the substitutes' bench, with Georgios Samaras missing out altogether, on Saturday after returning from international duty later than his domestic teammates - but all three are in line for inclusion in the Champions League tie.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Barcelona is unbeaten in its last 17 Champions League home games (14 wins, three draws).
- The club has scored in each of its last 31 home games in the group stages.
- Lionel Messi (pictured, right) has been the outright top scorer in each of the last four editions of the Champions League. He netted nine goals in 2008-09, eight in 2009-10, 12 in 2010-11 and 14 last season.
- Messi has netted 53 goals in the Champions League, only Raul (71) and Ruud Van Nistelrooy (56) have more to their name.
- Celtic has won just one of its last 27 away games in Europe (W1 D6 L20) - a 3-2 win over Spartak Moscow in matchday two.
- Neil Lennon's charges have never had a player sent off in a Champions League match.
- Celtic has failed to score in five of its last nine Champions League matches.
Top 3 Predictions
Barcelona 3-0 Celtic
- 17.59 %
Barcelona 3-1 Celtic
- 14.17 %
Barcelona 4-1 Celtic
- 11.94 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 1, 2013||Celtic 0 - Barcelona 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 7, 2012||Celtic 2 - Barcelona 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 23, 2012||Barcelona 2 - Celtic 1|
|Dec 6, 2013||F.C. Cartagena 1 - Barcelona 4||ESPC|
|Dec 1, 2013||Athletic Bilbao 1 - Barcelona 0||LIGA|
|Nov 26, 2013||Ajax 2 - Barcelona 1||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Barcelona 4 - Ciudad de Murcia 0||LIGA|
|Nov 10, 2013||Betis 1 - Barcelona 4||LIGA|
|8||Andrés Iniesta Luján||Midfielder|
|13||José Pinto Colorado||Goalkeeper|
|12||Jonathan Dos Santos||Midfielder|