Champions League Preview: Lille - Valencia
The Liga outfit travels to France knowing it must better Bayern Munich's result against BATE Borisov to win the group and secure a potentially favorable draw in the round of 16.
By Karthick Arvinth
Debuchy, Basa, Rozehnal, Beria
Balmont, Gueye, Martin
Kalou, Roux, Rodelin
Pereira, Rami, R Costa, Cissokho
Gago, T Costa
Feghouli, Banega, Guardado
Lille could welcome back striker Ryan Mendes from an ankle injury for Wednesday's Champions League clash with Valencia at the Grand Stade Lille Metropole.
Fellow attacker Tulio de Melo is sidelined with a hamstring problem, while defender Djibril Sidibe and midfielder Benoit Pedretti are suspended.
With Lille guaranteed to finish bottom of Group F, boss Rudi Garcia is likely to make several changes to the side that played out a goalless draw with Bastia on Saturday.
Valencia, meanwhile, is without injured duo Sergio Canales and Jeremy Mathieu. Antonio Barragan and Roberto Soldado serve suspensions. Newly-appointed coach Ernesto Valverde is expected to watch his team from the stands, with caretaker boss Salvador Gonzalez taking charge from the touchline.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Lille is on a three-match winless run in Ligue 1 and has failed to register on the scoresheet in that sequence.
- Les Dogues have never lost to Spanish opposition at home in five outings (W2, D3).
- Lille has received 17 yellow cards in the Champions League this season, more than any other club.
- Valencia has won just two of its last six matches in all competitions.
- The Mestalla club is on a 16-match unbeaten run against French teams since losing the first leg of the 1979-80 European Cup Winners' Cup semifinal against Nantes.
- To top Group F, Valencia must better Bayern Munich's result against BATE Borisov in the other group match. A Bayern win will see the Bundesliga side through as group winners regardless of the outcome in northern France.
Top 3 Predictions
Lille 1-2 Valencia
- 17.62 %
Lille 0-2 Valencia
- 17.62 %
Lille 1-1 Valencia
- 10.25 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 5, 2012||Lille 0 - Valencia 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 2, 2012||Valencia 2 - Lille 0|
|Europa League (EL)||Dec 2, 2009||Valencia 3 - Lille 1|
|Europa League (EL)||Sep 17, 2009||Lille 1 - Valencia 1|
|Dec 8, 2013||Bordeaux 1 - Lille 0||Lig1|
|Dec 3, 2013||Lille 1 - Marseille 0||Lig1|
|Nov 30, 2013||Valenciennes FC 0 - Lille 1||Lig1|
|Nov 24, 2013||Lille 1 - Toulouse FC 0||Lig1|
|Nov 9, 2013||EA Guingamp 0 - Lille 0||Lig1|
|-||Aurélien Chedjou Fongang||Defender|
|24||Rio Antonio Mavuba||Midfielder|
|18||Jose Andrés Guardado||Midfielder|