Champions League Preview: Lille - Bayern Munich
Jupp Heynckes' side has been less than average on its travels on the continent of late, but boasts a decent record against French sides over the years.
By Enis Koylu
Beria, Basa, Chedjou, Digne
Kalou, Martin, Payet
Lahm, Boateng, Badstuber, Alaba
Muller, Kroos, Ribery
Lille boss Rudi Garcia will be without the services of Mathieu Debuchy, who was sent off during the 2-0 loss to Valencia on Matchday two.
Franck Beria will revert to right back, with Lucas Digne slotting in on the left side of defense.
Meanwhile, Idrissa Gueye is a doubt, while Rio Mavuba is out, leaving Benoit Pedretti and Florent Balmont to form a shield in front of the back four.
Meanwhile, Bayern Munich will be able to welcome David Alaba back into the starting lineup after the Austrian made his long-awaited comeback in the 5-0 win over Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday. Dante will drop to the bench, with Holger Badstuber reverting to his preferred role at center back.
In midfield, Jupp Heynckes has the luxury of choosing between Luiz Gustavo and Javi Martinez in midfield, while, Toni Kroos will continue alongside Franck Ribery and Thomas Muller behind Mario Mandzukic, who should see off competition from Claudio Pizarro and keep his place.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Including a second-leg qualifying loss against Copenhagen, Lille has lost three of its four Champions League games.
- Les Dogues have drawn two, lost two and won just one of their matches against Bundesliga opposition.
- Salomon Kalou (pictured, right) started Chelsea's Champions League final victory over Bayern last season, and played 84 minutes in what turned out to be his last appearance for the Blues.
- Bayern Munich's 5-0 win over Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday saw the club set a new record for nine consecutive Bundesliga wins at the start of the season.
- The Bavarians have never faced Lille before, but have played French opposition 30 times, winning on 15 occasions. One of those triumphs, a 1-0 victory over Saint-Etienne in the 1976 European Cup final, saw the club lift the trophy for the third time.
- Bayern has lost four of its last five away games in Europe, and has won just one of its last six.
Top 3 Predictions
Lille 0-3 Bayern
- 24.97 %
Lille 0-2 Bayern
- 14.94 %
Lille 1-3 Bayern
- 14.35 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 7, 2012||Bayern 6 - Lille 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 23, 2012||Lille 0 - Bayern 1|
|Dec 8, 2013||Bordeaux 1 - Lille 0||Lig1|
|Dec 3, 2013||Lille 1 - Marseille 0||Lig1|
|Nov 30, 2013||Valenciennes FC 0 - Lille 1||Lig1|
|Nov 24, 2013||Lille 1 - Toulouse FC 0||Lig1|
|Nov 9, 2013||EA Guingamp 0 - Lille 0||Lig1|
|-||Aurélien Chedjou Fongang||Defender|