Champions League Preview: Malaga - Anderlecht
Manuel Pellegrino's side will be out to finish its impressive group stage debut on a high while the visitor can still secure a place in the Europa League.
By Harry Slavin
Gamez, Sanchez, Weligton, Eliseu
Portillo, Isco, Joaquin
Gillet, Kouyate, Juhasz, Safari
Bruno, Praet, Jovanovic
Malaga will be without influential defender Martin Demichelis in its final group stage match against Anderlecht on Tuesday after the Argentine center back picked up his third booking in the competition against Zenit St Petersburg last time out.
Sergio Sanchez looks set to take his place in defense and make his third appearance in this year's competition as Manuel Pellegrini's men look to end the their Group C campaign undefeated.
Manuel Iturra is back in contention for a European place after serving his suspension while goalkeeper Willy Caballero trained on Sunday despite picking up a knock in the Andalusian side's 1-0 defeat to Getafe at the weekend.
Anderlecht can still qualify for the Europa League and will finish third if it can better Zenit's result against AC Milan, but the Belgian side will have to do this without Bram Nuytinck after his dismissal against Milan in the last Champions League encounter.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Malaga has lost back to back matches for the first time this season after its defeat at the hands of Getafe at the weekend.
- Los Boquerones have one of the meanest defenses in the Champions League having conceded just three goals. Only Group A's Paris Saint-Germain and Porto have conceded fewer.
- If the home side avoids defeat, this will be the second time Manuel Pellegrini has guided a side unbeaten through its group stage debut, having managed the feat with Villarreal in 2005-06.
- Javier Saviola (pictured, right) scored in his only competitive outing against Belgian opposition before this season, netting for Barcelona against Club Brugge in the 2002-03 season.
- The last time Anderlecht set foot on Spanish soil, it secured a 1-1 draw against Athletic Bilbao in 2009-10.
- The Belgian side's next Champions League goal will be its 50th in the competition's history.
- John van den Brom's side has already opened up a six-point lead at the top of the Belgian Jupiler League.
Top 3 Predictions
Malaga 2-0 Anderlecht
- 18.11 %
Malaga 2-1 Anderlecht
- 15.23 %
Malaga 3-1 Anderlecht
- 12.76 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 4, 2012||Malaga 2 - Anderlecht 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 3, 2012||Anderlecht 0 - Malaga 3|
|Mar 10, 2014||Osasuna 0 - Malaga 2||LIGA|
|Mar 1, 2014||Malaga 1 - Valladolid 1||LIGA|
|Feb 22, 2014||Almeria 0 - Malaga 0||LIGA|
|Feb 17, 2014||Malaga 0 - Real Sociedad 1||LIGA|
|Feb 8, 2014||Rayo Vallecano 4 - Malaga 1||LIGA|
|21||Sebastián Fernández Miglierina||Striker|
|9||Roque Santa Cruz||Striker|
|21||Tom de Sutter||Striker|