Champions League Preview: Malaga - AC Milan
The Spaniards have taken maximum points from their opening two fixtures but face their toughest test as the Italian giant comes to visit La Rosaleda.
By Tom Webber
Gamez, Weligton, Demichelis, Monreal
Joaquin, Isco, Portillo, Eliseu
De Sciglio, Bonera, Zapata, Antonini
Emanuelson, Montolivo, Boateng
Pazzini, El Shaarawy
Malaga faces Italian opposition for the first time in its history when the club takes on AC Milan and will be keen to continue its perfect start to the club's maiden Champions League campaign.
There are no fresh injury worries for Manuel Pellegrini, but Nacho Monreal faces a late fitness test before he is passed to feature at La Roselada. However, should he fail, Eliseu could move to left back with Manuel Iturra coming into midfield.
Sergio Sanchez was absent from training with a virus while Diego Buonanotte, Julio Baptista and Jeremy Toulalan all continue their recoveries from long-term layoffs with light training.
Massimiliano Allegri is unlikely to be able to select Robinho as the Brazilian picked up a muscular injury in his right thigh during training.
Massimo Ambrosini could make his first Champions League appearance of the season for the Rossoneri, with Nigel de Jong making way for the veteran in midfield.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Apart from Porto, Malaga is the only side yet to concede a goal in this season's tournament.
- The Andalusians have never faced Italian opposition. This is only their second ever European campaign.
- Malaga pair Javier Saviola and Martin Demichelis could come up against former River Plate teammate Mario Yepes.
- AC Milan has scored a total of 395 goals in Europe's top competition.
- At 19 years and 342 days, Stephan El Shaarawy booked a place in the Rossoneri's history books by becoming their youngest Champions League goalscorer when he netted against Zenit St Petersburg on matchday two.
- That goal was key in Milan's 3-2 victory over the Russians - the team's first win in seven Champions League away matches.
- The Diavolo's last visit to Spain ended in defeat as Barcelona came out on top 3-1 in the quarterfinals of last seson's tournament.
Top 3 Predictions
Malaga 1-2 Milan
- 16.78 %
Malaga 0-2 Milan
- 15.33 %
Malaga 2-1 Milan
- 10.28 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 6, 2012||Milan 1 - Malaga 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 24, 2012||Malaga 1 - Milan 0|
|May 12, 2013||Malaga 0 - Sevilla 0||LIGA|
|May 8, 2013||Real Madrid 6 - Malaga 2||LIGA|
|May 4, 2013||Ciudad de Murcia 1 - Malaga 0||LIGA|
|Apr 28, 2013||Malaga 2 - Getafe 1||LIGA|
|Apr 20, 2013||Valencia 5 - Malaga 1||LIGA|
|11||Sebastián Fernández Miglierina||Striker|
|9||Roque Santa Cruz||Striker|
|2||Mattia De Sciglio||Defender|
|92||Stephan El Shaarawy||Midfielder|
|76||Mario Alberto Yepes||Defender|