Champions League Preview: Dinamo Zagreb - Paris Saint-Germain
The French capital side suffered defeat in its last Group A outings, and will be hoping to take all three points against a Croatian outfit yet to get off the mark in 2012
By Daniel Edwards
Vida, Tonel, Simunic, Pivaric
Rukavina, Sammir, Kovacic, Cop
Jallet, Alex, Sakho, Maxwell
Bodmer, Matuidi, Sissoko
Paris Saint-Germain saw further injury woes added to the squad during its weekend clash with Reims, with the news that attacker Nene would be ruled out for their upcoming Champions League encounter.
The Brazilian suffered a fractured cheekbone during the 1-0 victory and is expected to miss up to six weeks, joining Clement Chantome and Thiago Motta on the list of absences.
With no injury or suspension worries, the home team will hope to pick up its first points of the competition in the Croatian capital, after beginning its Group A campaign with consecutive defeats at the hands of Porto and Dynamo Kiev.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Dinamo Zagreb has never met Wednesday's rivals in a competitive clash, but has crossed French opposition on six occasions in Europe.
- The Croatians have won twice and lost four against French teams, the last encounter ending in a 7-1 drubbing at the hands of Olympique Lyonnais in December 2011.
- Dinamo's local dominance is clear to see; the club have lifted the Prva HNL title for seven seasons running.
- This success has yet to translate into continental competition, however. Since 2000, when the club changed its name back from Croatia Zagreb, it has failed to progress past the Champions League group stage.
- Paris Saint-Germain currently lies in second place in Group A. A 4-1 win over Dynamo Kiev in the opening match was followed by defeat to Porto, leaving the club with three points so far.
- Although he was born in Sweden, striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has a Croatian mother. The ex-Milan man last played in Zagreb in February 2012, netting from the penalty spot in a 3-1 victory for Sweden.
- Coach Carlo Ancelotti (right) has an impeccable record in the competition. The 53-year-old won the European Cup twice as a player with AC Milan and went on to repeat the achievement on two more occasions as the Italian giants' coach, making him one of only six men to lift the title both on the pitch and on the bench.
- PSG is one of two French clubs, alongside Marseille, to have tasted continental glory. Les Parisiens lifted the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1996 with victory over Rapid Wien.
Top 3 Predictions
Dinamo Zagreb 0-2 PSG
- 19.92 %
Dinamo Zagreb 0-3 PSG
- 15.33 %
Dinamo Zagreb 1-3 PSG
- 11.49 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 6, 2012||PSG 4 - Dinamo Zagreb 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 24, 2012||Dinamo Zagreb 0 - PSG 2|
|Dec 12, 2013||Dinamo Zagreb 1 - PFC Ludogorets Razgrad 2||EL|
|Nov 28, 2013||Chornomorets 2 - Dinamo Zagreb 1||EL|
|Nov 7, 2013||PSV 2 - Dinamo Zagreb 0||EL|
|Oct 24, 2013||Dinamo Zagreb 0 - PSV 0||EL|
|Oct 3, 2013||PFC Ludogorets Razgrad 3 - Dinamo Zagreb 0||EL|
|23||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
|-||Mohamed Lamine Sissoko||Midfielder|