Champions League Preview: Bayern Munich - Lille
Jupp Heynckes' side broke a bad string of away results in France a fortnight ago, and will be hoping to strengthen its grip in the knockout stage on Wednesday.
By Enis Koylu
Lahm, Boateng, Dante, Alaba
Muller, Kroos, Ribery
Sidibe, Rozehnal, Chedjou, Beria
Pedretti, Martin, Balmont
Kalou, Roux, Payet
Bayern Munich can be expected to name much of the same team that beat Hamburg 3-0 on Saturday. At the back, Holger Badstuber remains sidelined, allowing Dante to take his place against his former club, with David Alaba at left back.
In midfield, Jupp Heynckes has the choice between Luiz Gustavo and Javi Martinez in midfield, having rotated the two, while Franck Ribery will start on the left wing, after making a comeback at the Imtech Arena. Up front, Claudio Pizarro is likely to start as Mario Mandzukic has a cold, while Mario Gomez is still fighting his way back to full fitness after ankle surgery in the summer.
Meanwhile, Lille will be missing several key names for the trip to the Allianz Arena. Mathieu Debuchy and Marko Basa both limped out of Saturday's 2-0 win over Evian with calf and hamstring injuries respectively.
They join Idriss Gueye (ankle), Ryan Mendes (ankle), Lucas Digne (thigh) and Adama Sourmaoro on the Grand Stade Lille Metropole treatment table. However, Rio Mavuba could return in midfield. Tulio De Melo and Nolan Roux will compete for a place up front.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Bayern Munich's win over Valencia on matchday one was its sixth straight win in all competitions. The last time it managed that many consecutive victories was 2000-01, and it went on to lift the Champions League.
- Franck Ribery (pictured, right) and Dante both spent time at Lille in their careers, but had to leave the club after finding their respective paths to the first team blocked.
- Jupp Heynckes' side is one of just two teams to beat Lille on its own turf in 11 Champions League games in France.
- Lille has never scored in Germany, and has lost all three of its fixtures away to Bundesliga sides.
- Florent Balmont has been fouled more 13 fouls, more than any other player in the competition.
- On the other hand the French side has picked up 10 bookings, the joint most in the tournament alongside Anderlecht. Lucas Digne and Benoit Pedretti are one yellow card away from a suspension.
Top 3 Predictions
Bayern 3-0 Lille
- 23.12 %
Bayern 2-0 Lille
- 11.82 %
Bayern 4-0 Lille
- 11.72 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 7, 2012||Bayern 6 - Lille 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 23, 2012||Lille 0 - Bayern 1|
|Apr 16, 2014||Bayern 5 - FC Kaiserslautern 1||GERC|
|Apr 12, 2014||Bayern 0 - Borussia Dortmund 3||BUN|
|Apr 9, 2014||Bayern 3 - Manchester United 1||UCL|
|Apr 5, 2014||FC Augsburg 1 - Bayern 0||BUN|
|Apr 1, 2014||Manchester United 1 - Bayern 1||UCL|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|
|21||Aurélien Chedjou Fongang||Defender|
|24||Rio Antonio Mavuba||Midfielder|