Champions League Preview: Valencia - BATE Borisov
The Primera Division side recorded a comfortable win in Minsk two weeks ago, and will be desperate to add three more points to its tally on Wednesday.
By Stefan Coerts
Pereira, Rami, Costa, Cissokho
Gago, Tino Costa
Feghouli, Jonas, Guardado
Polyakov, Filippenko, Simic, Bordachov
Olekhnovich, Likhtarov, Volodko
The Spanish side will still have to make do without the services of attacking midfielder Sergio Canales, who is still recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament problem sustained last season.
Additionally, Argentine attacker Pablo Piatti has not featured since fracturing his right arm in training on Sept. 7 and remains unavailable.
However, Adil Rami is expected to be match fit in time to feature in Wednesday's encounter after he underwent an intensive session of physiotherapy to correct the back problem he suffered against Atletico.
BATE does not have too many injury worries, and will only be without attacking midfielder Alexander Pavlov, who is suspended after picking up his third yellow card in the Champions League two weeks ago. Head coach Viktor Goncharenko is expected to give Renan Bressan the nod in Pavlov's position.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Valencia is enduring its worst start to a Liga campaign since 1999-2000. It currently sits ninth in the league table with 14 points from 10 games.
- The home side is unbeaten in seven home games in the Champions League since a 1-0 loss against Manchester United on Sept. 29, 2010.
- Roberto Soldado's hat trick on matchday three made him the first Spaniard to score more than one Champions League treble.
- Valencia has only once before faced Belarusian opposition, two weeks ago away against BATE.
- Andrey Gorbunov, Maksim Bordachov and Marko Simic have played all 810 minutes of BATE's Champions League campaign.
- BATE has won only two corners in its first three games - far fewer than any other team in the group stage.
The Borisov side has lost all previous seven encounters with Spanish opponents and not scored in the last six, conceding 17 goals in that time and 21 overall.
- Aliaksandr Hleb (pictured, right) has made 85 appearances in UEFA club competition, a Belarusian record.
Top 3 Predictions
Valencia 3-0 FC BATE Borisov
- 13.73 %
Valencia 3-1 FC BATE Borisov
- 12.54 %
Valencia 2-0 FC BATE Borisov
- 11.34 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 7, 2012||Valencia 4 - FC BATE Borisov 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 23, 2012||FC BATE Borisov 0 - Valencia 3|
|Dec 19, 2013||Valencia 1 - Gimnastic 0||ESPC|
|Dec 15, 2013||Atletico Madrid 3 - Valencia 0||LIGA|
|Dec 12, 2013||Valencia 1 - Kuban 1||EL|
|Dec 8, 2013||Gimnastic 0 - Valencia 0||ESPC|
|Dec 1, 2013||Valencia 3 - Osasuna 0||LIGA|
|18||Jose Andrés Guardado||Midfielder|