Champions League Preview: Borussia Dortmund - Manchester City
The Bundesliga side has already topped the group and qualified for the next round, while Roberto Mancini's team must win and hope that Real Madrid beats Ajax at home.
By Husmukh Kerai
Piszczek, Hummels, Santana, Schmelzer
Blaszczykowski, Gotze, Reus
Maicon, Nastasic, Kompany, Zabaleta
Sinclair, Tevez, Nasri
Jurgen Klopp has an almost fully fit squad from which to select, with fringe players Chris Lowe and Patrick Owomoyela the only players sidelined with injury, but could rest some players with top spot already guaranteed.
Roberto Mancini will be without any recognised left backs with Gael Clichy (ankle) and Aleksander Kolarov (groin) both likely to miss the trip to Dortmund. Maicon could fill in at right back, with Pablo Zabaleta switching to the left - or Gareth Barry could switch to his former position.
James Milner (hamstring) is out after picking up an injury at Wigan last week, while Jack Rodwell (hamstring) and Micah Richards (knee) are still a while away from a first-team return. Mancini confirmed on Monday that Yaya Toure will not be involved, so Javi Garcia is likely to deputize.
The Italian boss will have one eye on Sunday's Manchester derby, so he could rest a few key players with one eye on the Premier League.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund attacker Marco Reus (pictured) has scored the first goal of the game in three of his last four Champions League appearances.
- Dortmund has made more defensive clearances than any other team in the Champions League (248).
- The German outfit has conceded six goals from the 85th minute of games onward in its last seven Champions League matches, plus it has netted two in this period themselves.
Manchester City has won one and lost four of its previous European trips to Germany.
Dortmund has never been beaten by English opposition at home.
- Manchester City must beat Dortmund and hope that Ajax does not beat Real Madrid if it are to qualify to play in the Europa League after Christmas.
- Both teams are unbeaten in their past five games in all competitions.
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Manchester City
- 15.25 %
Borussia Dortmund 2-1 Manchester City
- 13.65 %
Borussia Dortmund 1-2 Manchester City
- 11.74 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Dec 4, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Manchester City 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 3, 2012||Manchester City 1 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||Aug 4, 2010||Borussia Dortmund 3 - Manchester City 1|
|Apr 15, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Wolfsburg 0||GERC|
|Apr 12, 2014||Bayern 0 - Borussia Dortmund 3||BUN|
|Apr 8, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Real Madrid 0||UCL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Wolfsburg 1||BUN|
|Apr 2, 2014||Real Madrid 3 - Borussia Dortmund 0||UCL|
|28||Mohammad Mustafa Amini||Midfielder|