Champions League Preview: Montpellier - Arsenal
The hosts make their debut in Europe's premier competition and will be hoping to put their rotten league form behind them as they face Arsene Wenger's side who hit six on Saturday
By James McManus
Bocaly, Yanga-Mbiwa, Hilton, Bedimo
Utaka, Cabella, Belhanda, Estrada, Ait-Fana
Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs
Arteta, Diaby, Cazorla
Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud, Podolski
Montpellier coach Rene Girard will welcome back both Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Remy Cabella after resting them at the weekend during its defeat to newly-promoted Stade Reims.
There are still concerns over Olivier Giroud's replacement in the side, though, with Emmanuel Herrera struggling for form which has contributed to the club's slow start to the season.
Arsene Wenger will have to monitor whether Theo Walcott has recovered fully from the effects of a virus and if Abou Diaby has got over his small muscle injury sustained on international duty with France.
Elsewhere, Jack Wilshere (ankle), Bacary Sagna (broken leg), Tomas Rosicky (Achilles), Lukasz Fabianski (shoulder) and Emmanuel Frimpong (ACL) are all long-term absences and are set to miss the trip.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Montpellier has lost three of their opening five league games this season.
- Olivier Giroud (pictured right) was the club's top goalscorer last season with 21 league goals as he spearheaded its attack on its way to the Ligue 1 title.
- This is the club's first ever game in the Champions League.
- Montpellier has scored 49 goals in UEFA competition in the past.
- Arsenal has now qualified for the Champions League group stages for 15 seasons in a row.
- This is the first time that the two clubs have ever met in a competitive fixture.
- Arsene Wenger's side has a good record against French clubs in European competition, having won five and drawn three in the past.
- However, the Gunners have won just two of their last 12 games away in Europe, losing eight of those fixtures.
Top 3 Predictions
Montpellier HSC 0-2 Arsenal
- 22.91 %
Montpellier HSC 0-3 Arsenal
- 16.63 %
Montpellier HSC 1-3 Arsenal
- 12.12 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 21, 2012||Arsenal 2 - Montpellier HSC 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 18, 2012||Montpellier HSC 1 - Arsenal 2|
|May 26, 2013||Toulouse FC 2 - Montpellier HSC 0||FRA1|
|May 18, 2013||Montpellier HSC 0 - Lille 0||FRA1|
|May 11, 2013||SC Bastia 3 - Montpellier HSC 1||FRA1|
|May 4, 2013||Montpellier HSC 2 - Stade Brestois 29 1||FRA1|
|Apr 27, 2013||AC Ajaccio 2 - Montpellier HSC 1||FRA1|
|5||Vitorino Hilton da Silva||Defender|
|13||Marco Estrada Quinteros||Midfielder|
|18||Karim Ait Fana||Striker|