Champions League Preview: Chelsea - Juventus
Roberto Di Matteo will look to repeat the stunning heroics that lead the west Londoners to the Champions League title, beginning with a tie with the unbeatable Bianconeri
By James Burford
Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole
Ramires, Mikel, Lampard
Hazard, Torres, Mata
Lichsteiner, Bonucci, Barzagli, Chiellini
Krasic, Vidal, Pirlo, Asamoah
Chelsea begins the defense of its Champions League title against Italian champion Juventus, with both sides leading their respective leagues after an impressive opening few weeks of the season.
John Terry and Ashley Cole (both ankle) have shaken off knocks that ruled them out of England encounters during the international break and will feature against the Bianconeri. Roberto Di Matteo should also welcome back Juan Mata following the Spaniard's absence from the 0-0 draw against QPR at the weekend.
Juventus will be without former Inter defender Lucio (ankle) who is set to miss the majority of the season.
Following his impressive goal contribution in the season thus far, Kwadwo Asamoah looks set to make the starting XI ahead of Sebastian Giovinco. Nicklas Bendtner will continue to wait on the sidelines following his loan move from Arsenal.
Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba is yet to make his Juventus debut but could feature after being included in the Old Lady's squad.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea won all six of its Champions League home games last season.
- The Blues have finished as group winners in seven of their last nine Champions League campaigns.
- Chelsea won the last meeting between the sides, claiming a 3-2 aggregate victory.
- Gianluigi Buffon will make his 400th appearance for Juventus if he features in Wednesday night's match.
- Juventus is currently on a 42-match unbeaten streak in Serie A, stretching back to the end of the 2010-11 season.
- Juventus is one of only two teams to have won the Champions League on home soil, the other is Borussia Dortmund.
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea 1-2 Juventus
- 18.26 %
Chelsea 2-1 Juventus
- 15.34 %
Chelsea 0-2 Juventus
- 11.04 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 20, 2012||Juventus 3 - Chelsea 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Sep 19, 2012||Chelsea 2 - Juventus 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Mar 10, 2009||Juventus 2 - Chelsea 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Feb 25, 2009||Chelsea 1 - Juventus 0|
|May 19, 2013||Chelsea 2 - Everton 1||EPL|
|May 15, 2013||Benfica 1 - Chelsea 2||EL|
|May 11, 2013||Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 2||EPL|
|May 8, 2013||Chelsea 2 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|May 5, 2013||Manchester United 0 - Chelsea 1||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|