Four months after they tangled in the 2011-12 CCL semifinal stage, Toronto FC and Santos Laguna are set to renew hostilities.
|Toronto FC (4-4-2): F. Hall (GK); J. Hall, Eckersley, O'Dea, Morgan; Wiedeman, Frings, Dunfield, Johnson; Hassli, Silva
OUT: GK Stefan Frei (L lower leg); FW Danny Koevermans (L knee ACL tear); DF Ty Harden (lower abdominal strain); DF Matt Stinson (R quadriceps strain); DF Doneil Henry (L knee tendinosis); MF Reggie Lambe (R knee MCL sprain); Nicholas Lindsay (L knee surgery recovery)
PROBABLE: FW Eric Hassli (back spasms)
|Santos Laguna (4-4-2): Becerra (GK); Figueroa, Alanis, Ibanez, Adachi; Salinas, Ludueña, Lugo, Crosas; Gomez, Quintero
- These teams met at the semifinal stage of the previous edition of the CONCACAF Champions League, with Santos prevailing 7-3 on aggregate.
- Toronto was the first Canadian team to reach the CCL semifinals. Mexican teams have won every edition of the Champions League.
- Santos' Darwin Quintero and Osmar Mares were both red-carded in their last appearance at BMO Field.
- Both sides sit at three points in Group 1 after each team pummeled C.D. Aguila in their respective CCL openers. Santos Laguna holds a slight advantage in goal differential after winning 5-0, bettering TFC's 5-1 victory.
- Mexican teams have never won on Canadian soil in the short history of the CCL, going 0-2-3 (W-D-L) in five matches.