La Liga Preview: Levante - Real Madrid
A record of two defeats and a draw in its last three away matches against Los Granotes does not bode well for Jose Mourinho's side as it looks to close the gap on Barcelona
By Karthick Arvinth
Lopez, Ballesteros, Navarro, Juanfran
Rios, Barkero, Juanlu
Ramos, Varane, Pepe, Arbeloa
Di Maria, Modric, Ozil
Levante could have winger Nabil El Zhar available for Sunday's Primera Division encounter with Real Madrid at the Ciutat de Valencia. The Morocco international missed the last three games with a calf problem but has returned to light training and is almost certain to make the bench.
Gustavo Munua will return in goal after being rested for Thursday's Europa League clash with Twente, while midfielder Dariusz Dudka (groin) is sidelined.
Meanwhile, Madrid is without both Gonzalo Higuain, who was ruled out for three weeks with a hamstring injury sustained in the 2-2 draw with Borussia Dortmund, and Karim Benzema, who is also sidelined with a muscle strain. As a result, Cristiano Ronaldo is likely to be deployed as the lone center forward.
Sami Khedira and Marcelo are still out, but Fabio Coentrao (groin) may return, while Xabi Alonso is available after serving a one-match ban against Zaragoza.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Levante is on a three-match winless run in all competitions and have failed to score in that sequence.
- However, the Valencian club has won its last seven home matches across all competitions and is unbeaten at the Ciutat de Valencia this season.
- Sixth-placed Levante will move level on points with its opponent in the Primera Division table with victory on Sunday.
- Real Madrid has won just two of its last five away matches in La Liga (W2 D1 L2).
- Los Merengues have failed to win on their last three visits to Levante in all competitions (D1 L2).
- Mesut Ozil (pictured) became the 12th Madrid player to score this season with his late equalizer against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League on Tuesday.
Top 3 Predictions
Levante 0-4 Real Madrid
- 14.34 %
Levante 1-3 Real Madrid
- 11.38 %
Levante 0-3 Real Madrid
- 8.86 %
|La Liga (LIGA)||Mar 9, 2014||Real Madrid 3 - Levante 0|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Oct 5, 2013||Levante 2 - Real Madrid 3|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Apr 6, 2013||Real Madrid 5 - Levante 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Nov 11, 2012||Levante 1 - Real Madrid 2|
|La Liga (LIGA)||Feb 12, 2012||Real Madrid 4 - Levante 2|
|Apr 19, 2014||Levante 0 - Getafe 0||LIGA|
|Apr 12, 2014||Villarreal 1 - Levante 0||LIGA|
|Apr 7, 2014||Levante 1 - Athletic Bilbao 2||LIGA|
|Mar 31, 2014||Ciudad de Murcia 0 - Levante 2||LIGA|
|Mar 27, 2014||Levante 1 - Betis 3||LIGA|
|12||Juan García García||Defender|
|25||Nabil El Zhar||Midfielder|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed