Bundesliga Preview: Wolfsburg - Borussia Dortmund
Jurgen Klopp's deposed Bundesliga champions need just one point to ensure that they will end the season in the top two for the third consecutive season.
By Tom Webber
Borussia Dortmund only needs a single point from its trip to the Volkswagen Arena to face Wolfsburg in order to secure the runner-up position in the Bundesliga.
However, with one eye on the Champions League final against domestic rival Bayern Munich later this month, Jurgen Klopp may well rotate his squad for the fixture.
Felipe Santana will remain at the heart of defense but will this time feature alongside Mats Hummels rather than Neven Subotic, who played the 1-1 draw with the Bavarian giants last weekend.
Youngsters Leonardo Bittencourt and Moritz Leitner will be given rare starts, while Marco Reus replacing Robert Lewandowski gives Julian Schieber the chance to lead the line. Mario Gotze is unlikely to feature until the final due to injury.
Wolfsburg is only expected to make one change after sharing the spoils with Hamburg last week, as Simon Kjaer begins ahead of Robin Knoche at center back.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wolfsburg has only managed to take all three points in one of its last seven home games.
- The Wolves were victorious when the two sides met earlier this season. Naldo, Diego and Bas Dost were on target in a 3-2 triumph.
- Edin Dzeko scored a double the last time Wolfsburg tasted victory at home against Saturday's opponents. Grafite also found the net in a 3-0 in the Bundesliga-winning campaign of 2008-09.
- One point for Borussia Dortmund will secure a top-two finish for the third consecutive season. The club won the league the last two seasons.
- Robert Lewandowski, who is expected to be given a rest this weekend, is currently tied for the most goals in the Bundesliga with 23.
- Marco Reus (pictured, right) is one of four BVB players to have accumulated more goals this season than Wolfsburg's top scorers, Ivica Olic and Diego.
Top 3 Predictions
Wolfsburg 1-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 16.1 %
Wolfsburg 0-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 11.2 %
Wolfsburg 1-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 10.57 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 9, 2013||Wolfsburg 2 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||May 11, 2013||Wolfsburg 3 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Dec 8, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Wolfsburg 3|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 7, 2012||Wolfsburg 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 5, 2011||Borussia Dortmund 5 - Wolfsburg 1|
|Mar 2, 2014||TSG Hoffenheim 6 - Wolfsburg 2||BUN|
|Feb 22, 2014||Wolfsburg 3 - Leverkusen 1||BUN|
|Feb 16, 2014||Hertha BSC 1 - Wolfsburg 2||BUN|
|Feb 12, 2014||TSG Hoffenheim 2 - Wolfsburg 3||GERC|
|Feb 8, 2014||Wolfsburg 3 - Mainz 0||BUN|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed