Bundesliga Preview: Borussia Dortmund - Bayern Munich
Both teams sealed their progress to the continent's biggest match in midweek and will look to go into the clash on the back of a victory over their old rivals
By Enis Koylu
Borussia Dortmund is expected to make a few changes to the side which lost 2-0 to Real Madrid on Tuesday, but still progressed to the Champions League final.
Lukasz Piszczek has been carrying a knock for months and will undergo surgery at the end of the season, so will be rested, with Kevin Grosskreutz replacing him at right back. Neven Subotic is also likely to come out of the XI to give Felipe Santana a start.
A late challenge in Madrid saw Sven Bender pick up an injury while Mario Gotze has a torn hamstring muscle, so Ilkay Gundogan will fill in behind the striker with Nuri Sahin and Sebastian Kehl in the deep-lying midfield roles.
Finally, Jonas Hofmann will get a run out on the right wing, with Julian Schieber starting in Robert Lewandowski's place.
Bayern, meanwhile, is likely to name a stronger lineup than it has in recent Bundesliga games, with the likes of Philipp Lahm, David Alaba, Javi Martinez and Bastian Schweinsteiger starting.
However, after their midweek exertions at Camp Nou, Mario Mandzukic, Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben should get a rest, with Claudio Pizarro, Mario Gomez and Xherdan Shaqiri filling in.
Holger Badstuber (knee) and Toni Kroos (hamstring) will be out for the rest of the season.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund has not lost any of their last five Bundesliga games against Bayern, winning four in a row before December's 1-1 Allianz Arena draw.
- This will be the 100th official meeting between the two sides. Bayern have triumphed on 45 occasions, BVB 25 and there have been 29 draws.
- Mats Hummels (pictured, right) started his career at the Allianz Arena before making the permanent move to Dortmund in 2009 after a loan spell the previous year.
- Bayern Munich has not lost any of its three games against Borussia Dortmund this season, beating them 2-1 in the Supercup and 1-0 in the Pokal and drawing in the Bundesliga.
- Their 1-0 win over Freiburg last week saw them beat BVB's record points total.
- Bayern has kept a clean sheet and won in 20 games this season, a national best.
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 2-1 Bayern
- 15.91 %
Borussia Dortmund 1-2 Bayern
- 12.45 %
Borussia Dortmund 1-3 Bayern
- 10.19 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 23, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Bayern 3|
|German Supercup (GERS)||Jul 27, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 4 - Bayern 2|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||May 25, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Bayern 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||May 4, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Bayern 1|
|DFB-Pokal (GERC)||Feb 27, 2013||Bayern 1 - Borussia Dortmund 0|
|Apr 8, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Real Madrid 0||UCL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Wolfsburg 1||BUN|
|Apr 2, 2014||Real Madrid 3 - Borussia Dortmund 0||UCL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Stuttgart 2 - Borussia Dortmund 3||BUN|
|Mar 25, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 0 - Schalke 04 0||BUN|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|
|34||Pierre Emil Højbjerg||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed