Bundesliga Preview: Borussia Dortmund - Mainz
Jurgen Klopp may choose to rotate his squad just a few days before the vital Champions League clash, which will also take place in Signal Iduna Park.
By Daniel Edwards
Grosskreutz, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer
Kuba, Leitner, Gotze
Pospech, Svensson, Noveski, Diaz
Baum'er, Soto, Risse, Ivanschitz
With a place in the Champions League for the coming season all but guaranteed, and a crucial home semifinal clash in this year's edition against Real Madrid on the horizon, Jurgen Klopp may well decide to rest several stars to ensure they arrive in peak condition. Marco Reus, currently suffering a thigh strain, is one player almost certain to start from the bench against Mainz.
Coming off the back of two straight defeats, and having won just twice in the whole of 2013, Mainz will hope for an improvement in the final encounters of the season, safely ensconced in mid-table. U.S.-eligible attacker Shawn Parker came off the bench in a 2-1 reverse to Hamburg, and could get the nod from the start on Saturday afternoon.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund had to give up its dreams of recording a third-successive Bundesliga title, after Bayern Munich claimed the title with six games to spare two weeks ago.
- A win on Saturday, however, would guarantee the second-placed team a spot in the Champions League next year; five games from the end, the club sits 12 points clear of Schalke (in fourth) and with a far superior goal difference.
- With 72 goals scored, BVB could still beat its tally for 2012-13, when it netted 80 times on the way to the title. The real drop has been in defense; 35 goals conceded this year, compared to just 22 at the end of 2011-12.
- Mainz is another club still entertaining hopes of European football, sitting just three points off the Europa League places in ninth.
- On the other hand, it is close enough to the relegation fight to still need four more points to be absolutely safe from the drop.
While Dortmund's Robert Lewandowski (22) leads the Bundesliga scoring charts, Mainz have its own high-scoring representative: Hungarian Adam Szalai (pictured), with 13 goals so far.
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 3-0 Mainz
- 16.71 %
Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Mainz
- 13.99 %
Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Mainz
- 9.72 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 19, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 4 - Mainz 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 30, 2013||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 20, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 0|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 24, 2012||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Mar 3, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 1|
|Apr 19, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 4 - Mainz 2||BUN|
|Apr 15, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Wolfsburg 0||GERC|
|Apr 12, 2014||Bayern 0 - Borussia Dortmund 3||BUN|
|Apr 8, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Real Madrid 0||UCL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Wolfsburg 1||BUN|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed