Bundesliga Preview: Mainz - Borussia Dortmund
Jurgen Klopp's side enjoyed a terrific triumph over Ajax on Wednesday night, and BVB will hope to add to its achievements in Europe in its return to Bundesliga action.
By Alec Fenn
Pospech, Svensson, Noveski, Junior Diaz
Piszczek, Hummels, Subotic, Schmelzer
Blaszczykowski, Gotze, Reus
There is nothing quite like sealing a place in the knockout phase of the UEFA Champions League to send a team into the weekend with a spring in its step.
That is the case for Borussia Dortmund, which swept Ajax aside 4-1 on Wednesday and confirmed that it is indeed a force to be reckoned with in Europe. It has been a different story in the Bundesliga, however, with the reigning champion in fourth place on 22 points, nine points adrift of runaway leader Bayern Munich heading into Saturday's game.
The club's form since the 2-2 draw with Real Madrid on Oct. 10 has been encouraging, though, and back-to-back 3-1 wins over Augsburg and Greuther Furth leave BVB in fine form.
Mainz is enjoying a positive season of its own, and after finishing 13th in the league last season, the hosts sit in a respectable eighth place - just five behind Jurgen Klopp's side.
The visitors will be without Lars Bender who misses out with a nose injury, while Patrick Owomoyela continues his rehabilitation from surgery on a troublesome calf problem.
Niko Bungert, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Chinedu Edu are missing for Mainz through knee, fitness and hamstring problems, respectively.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund has emerged as a 2-1 winner from its last two clashes with Mainz.
- BVB has won three and drawn two of its last five games in all competitions.
- Robert Lewandowski (right) has scored two goals in each of his last three games.
- Mainz's last victory over Dortmund came back in 2009 when it won 1-0 at the Coface Arena.
- Christian Heidel's team has won four of its five home games in the Bundesliga this season, losing just once.
- Goals have been hard to come by for Saturday's hosts, however, with just 15 scored from their 12 league games to date.
- A Mainz victory would move the club to within just two points of Jurgen Klopp's side in the table.
Top 3 Predictions
Mainz 1-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 17.38 %
Mainz 0-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 17.05 %
Mainz 0-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 12.79 %
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 19, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 4 - Mainz 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 30, 2013||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Apr 20, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 0|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Nov 24, 2012||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (BUN)||Mar 3, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 1|
|Apr 19, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 4 - Mainz 2||BUN|
|Apr 12, 2014||Mainz 3 - Werder Bremen 0||BUN|
|Apr 5, 2014||Eintracht 2 - Mainz 0||BUN|
|Mar 29, 2014||Mainz 3 - FC Augsburg 0||BUN|
|Mar 25, 2014||Eintracht Braunschweig 3 - Mainz 1||BUN|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed