Ligue 1 Preview: Paris Saint-Germain-Olympique de Marseille
The biggest game in the French soccer calendar sees Elie Baup's men aim to gatecrash David Beckham's debut and reignite their title hopes in a hugely-anticipated clash.
By Mohammed Ali
Jallet, Sakho, Alex, Maxwell
Lucas Moura, Pastore
OLYMPIQUE DE MARSEILLE
Fanni, N'Koulou, Lucas Mendes, Morel
Kadir, Valbuena, A.Ayew
David Beckham made the Paris Saint-Germain squad to face arch-rival Olympique de Marseille at the Parc des Princes. The former LA Galaxy star, 37, has not featured in a competitive match since his previous club's MLS Cup victory, but is widely expected to make the substitutes bench at least, as Ancelotti grapples with Lucas' fitness issues and his widening rift with Jeremy Menez in the right-midfield position.
Thiago Silva remains some way from a return, with Thiago Motta also sidelined. Zlatan Ibrahimovic will spearhead the attack after confusion regarding a possible suspension, which the LFP have sought to dismiss.
Meanwhile, Marseille boss Elie Baup has himself a few injury and suspension issues to contend with ahead of a mammoth season-defining week for the Provence club.
Benoit Cheyrou has pulled out of both the league clash and the cup fixture against PSG - which will take place on Wednesday evening, with Jordan Ayew suspended for two matches and Morgan Amalfitano nursing a knee injury.
New signing Alaixys Romao should partner Joey Barton in midfield, as Andre-Pierre Gignac seeks to emulate Ibrahimovic, as was the case in the side's previous meeting at Stade Velodrome in October.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Paris Saint-Germain sits atop of the Ligue 1 table, despite its shock 3-2 defeat to Sochaux last weekend.
- A double from Zlatan Ibrahimovic (right) canceled out two strikes by Andre Pierre-Gignac when the teams met on Oct. 7 in the league.
- Les Parisiens have succumbed to defeat just four times in their last 45 home games in Ligue 1.
- Carlo Ancelotti's side has conceded one goal in its last six fixtures at the Parc des Princes.
- Marseille sits third in Ligue 1, five points behind its arch-rival.
- L'OM have lost each of their last three fixtures at the Parc des Princes. This will be the sides' third meeting of the 2012-13 season, with a second cup tie scheduled for Wednesday.
- Nevertheless, Marseille has found the net in each of its last 13 league fixtures against the capital club.
- The Provence club's last victory in the capital came almost exactly three years ago, with the 3-0 scoreline en route to the 2010 title remains its biggest league win at this ground.
- Sunday's match is sold out, with French media reporting 350 journalists across the globe have been accredited for the clash, though just seven from England.
Top 3 Predictions
PSG 2-0 Marseille
- 15.25 %
PSG 2-1 Marseille
- 14.05 %
PSG 3-1 Marseille
- 10.97 %
|Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Oct 6, 2013||Marseille 1 - PSG 2|
|Coupe de France (FRAC)||Feb 27, 2013||PSG 2 - Marseille 0|
|Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Feb 24, 2013||PSG 2 - Marseille 0|
|Coupe de la Ligue (FRLC)||Oct 31, 2012||PSG 2 - Marseille 0|
|Ligue 1 (Lig1)||Oct 7, 2012||Marseille 2 - PSG 2|
|Dec 4, 2013||Evian Thonon Gaillard 2 - PSG 0||Lig1|
|Dec 1, 2013||PSG 4 - O. Lyon 0||Lig1|
|Nov 27, 2013||PSG 2 - Olympiakos 1||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Stade de Reims 0 - PSG 3||Lig1|
|Nov 9, 2013||PSG 3 - OGC Nice 1||Lig1|
|23||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
|9||André Pierre Gignac||Striker|
|-||Marcellin Achille Anani||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed