Premier League Preview: West Ham - Reading
Sam Allardyce’s side has enjoyed a solid season back in the top flight and will be hoping to take three points from its final match of the campaign against the relegated Royals.
By Shane Farrington
Demel, Collins, Reid, O’Brien
J. Cole, Nolan, Jarvis
Gunter, Morrison, Mariappa, Kelly
Karacan, Guthrie, McAnuff
McCleary, Pogrebnyak, Robson-Kanu
West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has a strong squad from which to choose for his side’s final match of the season, and there are unlikely to be too many changes from the team which lost 2-0 against Everton, though James Tomkins (calf/shin) and George McCartney (knee) will miss the match.
Joe Cole came off the bench against the Toffees and could be poised to be given a place in the starting lineup. Andy Carroll is again set to lead the line his final match for the club before his loan spell from Liverpool ends.
As for the visitors, Reading boss Nigel Adkins could name an unchanged side from the starting XI that lost 2-0 to Manchester City on Tuesday. Adam Federici (ankle) is a doubt, so Alex McCarthy is expected to continue in goal, while Jimmy Kebe (groin) and Jason Roberts (hip) are both sidelined.
Striking duo Nick Blackman and Adam Le Fondre both came off the bench against City and are pushing for starting berths, although they are likely to have to once again settle for a place on the substitutes bench.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Despite currently sitting in 10th spot in the league, West Ham can still finish as low as 15th if it fails to beat the Royals and the teams below them all win.
- Kevin Nolan (pictured right), and Andy Carroll are the Hammers' leading goalscorers so far this season with seven goals each.
- Reading won the earlier meeting between the two sides in the Premier League, with Pavel Pogrebnyak scoring the only goal of the game.
- The Royals have the second-worst defensive record in the league. They have conceded 69 goals so far, and only fellow relegated side Wigan (71) has conceded more.
- Nigel Adkins' side has only won one of its last 12 league matches - a 4-2 win away to Fulham. It has have drawn two and lost the other nine games.
- Adam Le Fondre is Reading’s topscorer so far this season after netting 13 goals in all competitions. Those goals have come from 14 starts and 22 substitute appearances.
Top 3 Predictions
West Ham 2-0 Reading
- 18.54 %
West Ham 3-1 Reading
- 10.67 %
West Ham 3-0 Reading
- 10.11 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||May 19, 2013||West Ham 4 - Reading 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 29, 2012||Reading 1 - West Ham 0|
|England - Championship (ENG2)||Dec 10, 2011||Reading 3 - West Ham 0|
|Apr 15, 2014||Arsenal 3 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|Apr 6, 2014||West Ham 1 - Liverpool 2||EPL|
|Mar 31, 2014||Sunderland 1 - West Ham 2||EPL|
|Mar 26, 2014||West Ham 2 - Hull 1||EPL|
|Mar 22, 2014||West Ham 0 - Manchester United 2||EPL|
|12||Ricardo Vaz Te||Striker|
|9||Adam Le Fondre||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed