Premier League Preview: Queens Park Rangers - Wigan
The Rs host Roberto Martinez's men in a relegation battle at Loftus Road, with Harry Redknapp's side looking to close the gap on the Latics, who sit just above the drop zone.
By Matt Hill
Bosingwa, Samba, Hill, Traore
Remy, Taraabt, Townsend
Scharner, Alcaraz, Figueroa
Boyce, McCarthy, Gomez, Beausejour
Maloney, McManaman, Kone
QPR will be looking to bounce back from the disappointing 3-2 defeat at the hands of Fulham last Monday in the West London derby.
Despite his team's defensive frailties in the first half against the Cottagers, Redknapp's center back pairing of Christopher Samba and Clint Hill is perceived as his strongest, and they are likely to continue at the heart of the R's defense.
Andy Johnson could be fit after a knee injury, and Redknapp may look to the England striker to take the weight off Bobby Zamora's shoulders, though it is more likely that he will take his place on the substitutes' bench.
Roberto Martinez' Wigan has no new injury concerns and is likely to remain unchanged for what would be the third consecutive game as it looks to add to its three-match winning streak.
A win for Wigan would see the Latics edge that bit closer to Premier League safety, as they have a game in hand on their relegation rivals. Defeat for QPR, meanwhile, would all but condemn them to the Championship next season.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- QPR has had 21 shots in each of its last two Premier League games (Aston Villa and Fulham), but has lost both matches.
- All three penalties that QPR has taken so far this season have been saved.
- Clint Hill (pictured right) is the only player to be substituted at halftime three times in the Premier League this season.
- Wigan's victory over Norwich last weekend was its seventh 1-0 win of the season.
- Arouna Kone is the Latics' top scorer with 10 goals in the Premier League so far this season.
- In 22 of the games Wigan has played so far this season, there have been more than three goals scored.
Top 3 Predictions
QPR 2-1 Wigan Athletic
- 19.16 %
QPR 3-1 Wigan Athletic
- 10.7 %
QPR 1-0 Wigan Athletic
- 9.3 %
|England - Championship (ENG2)||Mar 25, 2014||QPR 1 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Championship (ENG2)||Oct 30, 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - QPR 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 7, 2013||QPR 1 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 8, 2012||Wigan Athletic 2 - QPR 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 21, 2012||QPR 3 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|Apr 19, 2014||Leicester 1 - QPR 0||ENG2|
|Apr 12, 2014||QPR 5 - Nottingham Forest 2||ENG2|
|Apr 8, 2014||Blackburn 2 - QPR 0||ENG2|
|Apr 5, 2014||Bournemouth 2 - QPR 1||ENG2|
|Mar 29, 2014||QPR 1 - Blackpool 1||ENG2|
|-||Tal Ben Haim||Defender|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed