Premier League Preview: Reading - Aston Villa
Two sides in the bottom three go head-to-head at Madejski Stadium with the hosts looking for their first win since the start of February against Paul Lambert's struggling side.
By Matt Davis
Kelly, Mariappa, Pearce, Harte
Kebe, Leigertwood, Akpan, McAnuff
Le Fondre, Hunt
Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Bennett
Westwood, El Ahmadi
Weimann, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor
Reading will continue with third-choice goalkeeper Stuart Taylor with Adam Federici still sidelined with an ankle injury.
Pavel Pogrebnyak serves the second of his three-game ban for his red card two weeks ago, allowing Adam Le Fondre to keep his place in the starting lineup. Injured duo Jason Roberts and Alex McCarthy will miss out while Jimmy Kebe is doubtful.
For Villa, Fabian Delph will only be able to watch the game on the sidelines after picking up 10 yellow cards so far this season, resulting in the midfielder being suspended for two games. Ron Vlaar has missed the last two games with a calf problem but could return.
Long-term absentees Stylian Petrov (leukemia), Darren Bent (ankle), Marc Albrighton (ankle), Gary Gardner (knee) and Richard Dunne (groin) are all ruled out for the Premier League clash at the Madjeski Stadium.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Aston Villa has failed to win 20 of its last 22 away games.
- Reading has kept only three clean sheets this season, but two of them have come in the club's last six Premier League fixtures.
- In the last six Premier League home fixtures for the Royals, they have scored either before the 10th minute or after the 80th minute.
- Aston Villa has won this fixture on five of the last six occasions.
- On average, both teams manage only three shots on target per game.
- The previous six fixtures have seen an average of three goals per game.
- Based on the last six games, Reading is 12th in the form guide while Aston Villa is 16th.
- Aston Villa has lost the away games against last season's promoted teams, gaining zero points at both Southampton and West Ham.
- Aston Villa won the reverse fixture earlier in the season 1-0, on the strength of a goal by leading goalscorer Christian Benteke (pictured right).
Top 3 Predictions
Reading 1-2 Aston Villa
- 20 %
Reading 0-2 Aston Villa
- 11.77 %
Reading 2-1 Aston Villa
- 11.77 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 9, 2013||Reading 1 - Aston Villa 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 27, 2012||Aston Villa 1 - Reading 0|
|FA Cup (FA)||Mar 7, 2010||Reading 2 - Aston Villa 4|
|Dec 7, 2013||Reading 1 - Bournemouth 2||ENG2|
|Dec 3, 2013||Reading 1 - Charlton Athletic 0||ENG2|
|Nov 29, 2013||Nottingham Forest 2 - Reading 3||ENG2|
|Nov 23, 2013||Blackburn 0 - Reading 0||ENG2|
|Nov 9, 2013||Reading 1 - QPR 1||ENG2|
|9||Adam Le Fondre||Striker|
|21||Jordan Nathaniel Bowery||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed