Premier League Preview: Norwich - Southampton
After their survival campaign was derailed by the unexpected loss, the Saints are in desperate need of a result against a Canaries side looking to steer further away from danger
By Alex Ward
Martin, Turner, Bassong, Garrido
Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Pilkington
Clyne, Yoshida, Fonte, Shaw
Puncheon, Cork, Schneiderlin, Lallana
Chris Hughton will look to get back on track after his side's crushing 4-0 defeat at Old Trafford on Saturday and will hope to capitalize on Norwich's solid home form at a ground that witnessed victory over high-flying Everton last time out.
The hero of that particular triumph, Kei Kamara, may be handed his first start in place of fellow recent arrival Luciano Becchio as Hughton looks to enhance buttress his side's attacking potency.
The clash comes too early for Alex Tettey, however, who remains sidelined through a knee injury, whilst midfielder Andrew Surman will miss the chance to face his former club after undergoing minor surgery on an ongoing knee complaint.
The Canaries will continue to be without long-term absentee John Ruddy, although the goalkeeper is penciled in for a return later this month.
Southampton is likely to field a similar team to the side that ignominiously lost to QPR on Saturday, but with the likely exception of Danny Fox, who is expected to make way for the returning Luke Shaw after sustaining a knock at the weekend.
However, Mauro Pocettino could receive a notable boost after Adam Lallana's speedy recovery from a concussion sustained against QPR, who returned to training in mid-week.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- There have been a total of 27 goals in the two club's previous six top-flight encounters, an average of 4.5 per game.
- Norwich has claimed 25 of their 32 points (78 percent) at Carrow Road this season, having won just once away from home in a 4-3 thriller at Swansea.
- Chris Hughton’s side has taken 10 points against the current top-six sides at Carrow Road this term.
- The Canaries have netted just three times in their last five home games, with two of those goals coming against Everton last time out.
- Only Grant Holt and Robert Snodgass (pictured right) have scored more than four times for the Canaries.
- Southampton targetman Rickie Lambert and Grant Holt will be no stranger to one another, having played together at Rochdale in League Two between 2004-06.
- Lambert is currently the top-scoring Englishman in the Premier League this term with 12 goals, more than double the Saints' second-highest scorer, Jason Puncheon.
- Southampton has tasted victory just once in its last seven Premier League outings.
- Saints' have thrown away a staggering 27 points from winning positions this season, more than any other side.
Top 3 Predictions
Norwich City 2-1 Southampton
- 20.64 %
Norwich City 1-1 Southampton
- 15.34 %
Norwich City 2-0 Southampton
- 9.52 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 31, 2013||Norwich City 1 - Southampton 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 9, 2013||Norwich City 0 - Southampton 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 28, 2012||Southampton 1 - Norwich City 1|
|Dec 4, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Nov 30, 2013||Norwich City 1 - Crystal Palace 0||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Newcastle 2 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Norwich City 3 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|Nov 2, 2013||Manchester City 7 - Norwich City 0||EPL|
|6||Jose Rocha Fonte||Defender|
|21||Guilherme Do Prado||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed