Premier League Preview: Aston Villa - Manchester City
The Premier League champion will look to shorten the gap at the top of the table when it takse on Paul Lambert's struggling side at Villa Park on Saturday afternoon.
By James McManus
Lowton, Baker, Clark, Bennett
Wiemann, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor
Zabaleta, K.Toure, Nastasic, Clichy
Milner, Y. Toure, Silva
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has both Marc Albrighton (ankle) and Richard Dunne (groin) out but Shay Given, Ron Vlaar and Darren Bent could all return after missing the club's defeat to Arsenal last Saturday.
Elsewhere, Chris Herd is still sidelined with an ankle strain, while Craig Gardner is a long-term absentee with an anterior cruciate ligament injury.
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini will definitely be without Brazilian defender Maicon who is sidelined with a knee injury, while Vincent Kompany may miss the fixture due to a calf problem. Gareth Barry and Micah Richards are all nearing returns to fitness and could make the bench.
Jack Rodwell may continue in midfield, while Carlos Tevez will be fighting for a starting place after netting against Chelsea last Sunday.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Aston Villa has scored just 26 league goals all season, which is less than the return of 29 goals scored by Manchester City trio Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko and Carlos Tevez.
- Villa has conceded 52 goals in the top flight all campaign, which is the worst defensive record in the league.
- Aston Villa has conceded at least two goals in eight of its last 10 games in the Premier League.
- Paul Lambert's side has lost all eight league encounters where it has been behind at half time.
- Manchester City boasts the best defensive record in the league this season with 12 clean sheets and 24 goals conceded overall.
- City has won 14 of the 16 games where strike duo Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez have started together.
- Their previous meeting this season ended 5-0 at the Etihad Stadium following David Silva's strike, and two goals each from Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez.
Top 3 Predictions
Aston Villa 0-3 Manchester City
- 16.3 %
Aston Villa 2-1 Manchester City
- 13.25 %
Aston Villa 1-3 Manchester City
- 10.66 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 4, 2013||Aston Villa 0 - Manchester City 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 17, 2012||Manchester City 5 - Aston Villa 0|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||Sep 25, 2012||Manchester City 2 - Aston Villa 4|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 12, 2012||Aston Villa 0 - Manchester City 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Oct 15, 2011||Manchester City 4 - Aston Villa 1|
|May 19, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|May 11, 2013||Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 2||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||Norwich City 1 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|Apr 29, 2013||Aston Villa 6 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|Apr 22, 2013||Manchester United 3 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|8||Karim El Ahmadi||Midfielder|
|21||Jordan Nathaniel Bowery||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed