Premier League Preview: Southampton - Manchester City
With Manchester United nine points clear atop the Premier League table, their city rivals look to pick up some momentum away to a Saints side without a win in four games
By Chris Teale
Clyne, Hooiveld, Fonte, Shaw
Puncheon, Schneiderlin, Davis, Lallana
Zabaleta, Lescott, Nastasic, Clichy
Milner, Y Toure, Barry, Silva
For the home side, Nathaniel Clyne and Luke Shaw are both recovering from knocks that forced them out of international duty with the England Under-21s, but both should be fit for this game. Guly Do Prado faces a few weeks on the sidelines with a knee problem, so Morgan Schneiderlin should deputize in the center of midfield.
Gaston Ramirez also withdrew from international duty during the week with a leg injury, and should recover in time to at least take a place among the substitutes.
Manchester City welcome the Toure brothers back into their squad after their return from African Cup of Nations duty, and both should figure for their club again soon. Vincent Kompany has returned to training as his recovery is going better than expected, although the Belgian is still a little way away from a return.
With Micah Richards still a long-term injury, the champion has no new injury or suspension concerns going into this game.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Southampton is without a win in the Premier League under new manager Mauricio Pochettino, but picked up draws with Everton and Wigan either side of a loss to Manchester United.
- Saints striker Rickie Lambert is the joint-fifth top scorer in the league this season, scoring 11 goals to sit alongside Gareth Bale, Edin Dzeko and Theo Walcott in the scoring charts.
- This season is Southampton’s 14th in the Premier League since it was founded in 1992.
- These two sides played on the opening day of the season, with Manchester City prevailing 3-2 thanks to a winner in the 80th minute from Samir Nasri (pictured right) having been pegged back twice by Southampton equalizers.
- Despite continual speculation surrounding Neymar, the president of Santos has insisted that the Brazilian will not be joining the Premier League champions.
- Since January 2003, Manchester City has spent a total of 109 million pounds in the January transfer window, an average spend of 18.17 million pounds.
Top 3 Predictions
Southampton 0-3 Manchester City
- 13.24 %
Southampton 1-0 Manchester City
- 10.45 %
Southampton 2-1 Manchester City
- 8.97 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 5, 2014||Manchester City 4 - Southampton 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 7, 2013||Southampton 1 - Manchester City 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 9, 2013||Southampton 3 - Manchester City 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 19, 2012||Manchester City 3 - Southampton 2|
|Apr 19, 2014||Aston Villa 0 - Southampton 0||EPL|
|Apr 12, 2014||Southampton 0 - Cardiff City 1||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Manchester City 4 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Southampton 4 - Newcastle 0||EPL|
|Mar 23, 2014||Tottenham 3 - Southampton 2||EPL|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed