Premier League Preview: Chelsea - Wigan
The Blues' recent form has been dire as the Champions League holders are without a victory in four. Roberto Martinez may be optimistic of getting points from Stamford Bridge.
By Tom J Doyle
Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Bertrand
Hazard, Lampard, Mata
Caldwell, Figueroa, Alcaraz
Stam, McCarthur, McCarthy, Beausejour
Espinosa, Di Santo, Maloney
Demba Ba (broken nose) could be in contention for the hosts, but Fernando Torres is likely to start instead. Petr Cech is still recovering from a broken finger, so Ross Turnbull should carry on in his place.
Ashley Cole (hamstring) may be rested after having to come off during his 100th international appearance for England in the 2-1 victory over Brazil. David Luiz (ankle) picked up a knock but should still play.
Eden Hazard is back after serving his three-match suspension for being sent off for attacking a Swansea ball boy. Oriol Romeu (knee) is out until June.
Wigan's top scorer Aroune Kone is back from the Africa Cup of Nations but will need be assessed closer to the game before he returns to the starting line-up.
Antolin Alcaraz (groin) and Emerson Boyce (hamstring) are set to return for the visitors, but the game comes too soon for Ryo Miyaichi (ankle) and Ben Watson (broken leg), with both expected back at the end of February.
There are no set return dates for Albert Crusat (knee), Fraser Fyvie (muscle), Mike Pollitt (hip) or Ivan Ramis (knee).
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea has won six of its last seven home matches against Wigan in all competitions.
- The Blues have won just two of their last five league games, with two draws and a defeat leaving their grip on third place in doubt.
- Wigan only has one win in its last 12 Premier League games.
- The Latics have scored at least two goals in their last three league matches, but have also conceded at least two goals in those games.
- Rafa Benitez has 22 points from 13 Premier League games; Roberto Di Matteo was sacked with 24 from 12 matches.
- Juan Mata (pictured, right) has been involved in 18 goals (nine goals, nine assists) in 20 starts for Chelsea this season.
- Wigan has drawn three of their last four games, including a 90th minute equalizer against Southampton last weekend.
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea 3-0 Wigan Athletic
- 16.89 %
Chelsea 3-1 Wigan Athletic
- 15.35 %
Chelsea 2-0 Wigan Athletic
- 11.55 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 9, 2013||Chelsea 4 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 19, 2012||Wigan Athletic 0 - Chelsea 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 7, 2012||Chelsea 2 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 17, 2011||Wigan Athletic 1 - Chelsea 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 9, 2011||Chelsea 1 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|Dec 7, 2013||Stoke 3 - Chelsea 2||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Sunderland 3 - Chelsea 4||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Chelsea 3 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Nov 26, 2013||Basel 1 - Chelsea 0||UCL|
|Nov 23, 2013||West Ham 0 - Chelsea 3||EPL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed