Premier League Preview: Newcastle United - Reading
Alan Pardew will be keen for his side to end its disappointing slump that has seen the Magpies topple down the table, while Brian McDermott will be eyeing another victory.
By Shane Farrington
Debuchy, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon Anita, Cabaye, Gutierrez
Ben Arfa, Shola Ameobi, Cisse
Harte, Pearce, Mariappa, Gunter
Kebe, Karacan, Guthrie, McAnuff
Le Fondre, Pogrebnyak
Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew looks set to hand Yohan Cabaye a start after he came off the bench in the club's goalless draw away to Norwich City last Saturday, with James Perch the likeliest to drop to the bench.
Experienced forward Shola Ameobi returns after serving a one-game suspension and is likely to come straight back into the starting XI. This could mean Papiss Cisse taking Gabriel Obertan’s place wide in the front three. Ryan Taylor (knee), Dan Gosling (ankle) and Danny Simpson (foot) all remain sidelined, as does long-term injury absentee Haris Vukic (knee).
As for the visitors, they are unlikely to make many changes from the side that came from behind to beat West Brom 3-2. Recent arrival Daniel Carrico endured a tough debut after arriving from Sporting Lisbon and could be named on the substitutes bench.
With three vital points on offer, Reading boss Brian McDermott may well opt to go for two up front with in-form Pavel Pogrebnyak being partnered by Adam Le Fondre. Goalkeeper Alex McCarthy is still sidelined with a shoulder injury.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle has failed to win back-to-back matches in the Premier League so far this season - and has only won one of its last seven league games.
- Yoahan Cabye, Hatem Ben Arfa and Papiss Cisse are the only Magpies players to have scored more than one goal in the league this season. Demba Ba netted 13 times before joining Chelsea.
- Newcastle has won five of its 22 league matches so far this season and sits just outside the relegation zone in 16th spot.
- The match between the two sides at the Madejski Stadium earlier in the season finished in a 2-2 draw. Jimmy Kebe (pictured right), and Noel Hunt scored for the hosts, with Demba Ba netting a brace for the away side.
- Reading has won two of its last three Premier League matches after only winning one of its opening 19 games.
- The Royals have the third-worst scoring record away from home, managing to find the back of the net just eight times so far on their travels.
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle 2-0 Reading
- 21.3 %
Newcastle 2-1 Reading
- 17.04 %
Newcastle 3-0 Reading
- 8.02 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 19, 2013||Newcastle 1 - Reading 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 29, 2012||Reading 2 - Newcastle 2|
|May 19, 2013||Newcastle 0 - Arsenal 1||EPL|
|May 12, 2013||QPR 1 - Newcastle 2||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||West Ham 0 - Newcastle 0||EPL|
|Apr 27, 2013||Newcastle 0 - Liverpool 6||EPL|
|Apr 20, 2013||West Bromwich 1 - Newcastle 1||EPL|
|9||Adam Le Fondre||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed