Premier League Preview: Aston Villa - Southampton
The two teams sit just above the bottom three after failing to win in their last four Premier League matches, and will thus be aware of the importance in securing a victory
By Shane Farrington
Lowton, Clark, Baker, Bennett
Weimann, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor
Clyne, Hooiveld, Yoshida, Shaw
Puncheon, Cork, Schneiderlin, Ramirez
Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert named a strong starting lineup for their 3-1 defeat to Bradford in the Capital One Cup semifinal first-leg match in midweek, but he is likely to make a number of changes.
Brad Guzan is poised to regain his spot in goal in place of Shay Given while Stephen Ireland could also be given an opportunity in midfield, with Fabian Delph the most likeliest to drop out.
Gabriel Agbonlahor should overcome a knock he picked up against the League Two side to retain his place in the starting line-up, though Darren Bent is a doubt. Key centre-back Richard Dunne (groin) and midfielder Gary Gardener (knee) remain sidelined.
As for the visitors, Nigel Adkins is also set to make a number of alterations from the team which lost 5-1 at home to Chelsea in the FA Cup.
Center half Jose Fonte will miss out after being stretchered off in that cup loss to the Blues, with Jos Hooiveld likely to come in as his replacement, while Nathaniel Clyne is expected to return at right-back.
Emmanuel Mayuka has now left for the Africa Cup of Nations, and Adam Lallana remains out, but forward Rickie Lambert should return either in place of Jay Rodriguez or alongside him.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Aston Villa is the joint-lowest Premier League scorers along with QPR this season - both sides finding the back of the net just 17 times from their 21 matches.
- The Midlands club also has the worst defensive record in the league - having conceded on 41 occasions.
- Villa’s 2-2 draw away to Swansea saw it end a run of three straight losses in which itconceded 15 times and failed to score.
- Despite falling behind to a Darren Bent opener, Southampton ran out 4-1 winners in the match at St Mary’s earlier in the season, thanks to a Lambert brace, a goal from Nathaniel Clyne, (pictured right), and a Ciaran Clark own goal.
- Saints have only lost two of their last 10 Premier League matches - 1-0 losses against Liverpool and Sunderland. This run has seen them take 14 points out of a possible thirty.
- Highly-rated 17-year-old left back Luke Shaw has made 11 Premier League appearances for the Saints so far this season, and has recently expressed his desire to stay on the south cost despite links with Arsenal.
Top 3 Predictions
Aston Villa 2-1 Southampton
- 15.33 %
Aston Villa 1-2 Southampton
- 10.98 %
Aston Villa 1-3 Southampton
- 6.18 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 12, 2013||Aston Villa 0 - Southampton 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 22, 2012||Southampton 4 - Aston Villa 1|
|May 19, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|May 11, 2013||Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 2||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||Norwich City 1 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|Apr 29, 2013||Aston Villa 6 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|Apr 22, 2013||Manchester United 3 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|21||Jordan Nathaniel Bowery||Striker|
|33||Steve de Ridder||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed