thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • January 1, 2013
  • • 12:30 PM
  • • St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Hampshire
  • Referee: L. Probert
  • • Attendance: 31743

Southampton 1-1 Arsenal: Own goal saves point for frustrated Gunners

Arsene Wenger's side labored to a draw against an energetic Saints display with Guly do Prado's effort past his own keeper denying the home side a memorable win.

Southampton held an out of sorts Arsenal to a 1-1 draw at St. Mary's to move out of the relegation zone.

Gaston Ramirez gave the Saints the lead just past the half-hour mark after some abject defending from Arsenal, but Guly do Prado gifted the Gunners an equalizer when he put Theo Walcott's free kick past his own keeper.

Arsene Wenger named an unchanged team from the demolition of Newcastle last time out. Whereas Nigel Adkins made three changes; Steven Davis and Ramirez returned to the side while Artur Boruc made his first start since October.

Boruc made a shaky start to the match and almost handed the Gunners an early lead when he fumbled a routine catch from an Arsenal corner.

The home side, though, was unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when Thomas Vermaelen brought down Maya Yoshida inside the area after 8 minutes.

Ramirez made the breakthrough for Southampton in the 35th minute when he capitalized on some poor defending from the visiting team. Jason Puncheon laid the ball off to the Uruguayan, after mishitting his initial shot, allowing him to sweep past an unsighted Szczesny.

But the Saints were only ahead for seven minutes as Do Prado turned the ball into his own net from a Theo Walcott free kick. The midfielder slid in at the near post but inadvertently put it past a helpless Boruc.

The sides went in level at the break but Southampton had the better of the half and perhaps should have gone in ahead.

Southampton started the second half brightly as well. Do Prado almost made amends from his earlier own-goal with a fine turn and shot to test Szczesny in the 55th minute, but the Gunners' stopper did well to turn his effort past the post.

The Poland international was called upon again from the resulting corner, when the ball struck Sagna on the knee forcing Szczesny into a fine reaction save to keep the visiting team level.

It took 70 minutes before Arsenal managed its first shot on target. Walcott found space down the right side but his low shot was easily kept out by Boruc.

The Saints' reply was instant and should have resulted in a goal. Ramirez's beautifully taken volley was harshly ruled out for a push on an Arsenal defender in the build up.

Arsenal finished the better side, as Mikel Arteta came close with a long range effort in the 80th minute before Gervinho dragged his shot wide of the near post moments later.

But Puncheon almost claimed all three points for the home team when he ended his penetrative run with a fierce shot which was well blocked by Szczesny.

The Gunners had their own chance to win the game when Gibbs was played in behind the Saints' defense but the left back's low cross was cut out by Yoshida.

Follow GOAL.COM on