Premier League Preview: Southampton - Arsenal
Arsene Wenger takes his side to the south coast for its first match of 2013, with Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain returning to their old stomping ground.
By Chris Teale
Yoshida, Hooiveld, Fonte, Shaw
Schneiderlin, Cork, Puncheon, Do Prado
Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs
Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla
Podolski, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain
Southampton defender Nathaniel Clyne is nearing a comeback from the knock he sustained on Boxing Day, although he may only make the bench for this game.
Adam Lallana remains a doubt with a knee injury, although Nigel Adkins is hopeful of welcoming the midfielder back into the side soon.
Otherwise, the Saints have no new injury or suspension worries and have a strong squad from which to choose.
For the Gunners, Per Mertesacker is close to a return but may not recover in time for this game.
Theo Walcott looks set to keep his place as a central striker, with Arsene Wenger hopeful he can tie the England man to a new contract soon.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- In scoring three times at the Britannia Stadium against Stoke, Southampton became the first side to net more than once away to the Potters this season.
- Only two players have appeared in every Premier League game for Saints this season: Rickie Lambert and defender Jose Fonte, the latter of which has started every game.
- Having gained just one win in its first 10 matches this term, Southampton has lost just twice in its subsequent nine games.
- These sides have already faced each other this season in the Premier League, with the Gunners triumphing 6-1 thanks in part to a brace from Gervinho and own goals from Nathaniel Clyne and Jos Hooiveld.
- Arsenal’s Theo Walcott (pictured right) has scored 10 goals in his last 10 appearances in all competitions.
- The Gunners’ 7-3 victory over Newcastle was the joint second-most goals to be scored in a Premier League match, equal with the club's 8-2 loss to Manchester United last season.
- Arsenal has won its last four Premier League matches by a goal aggregate of 15-5.
Top 3 Predictions
Southampton 1-3 Arsenal
- 15.59 %
Southampton 0-3 Arsenal
- 10.16 %
Southampton 1-4 Arsenal
- 9.75 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 28, 2014||Southampton 2 - Arsenal 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 23, 2013||Arsenal 2 - Southampton 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 1, 2013||Southampton 1 - Arsenal 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 15, 2012||Arsenal 6 - Southampton 1|
|Apr 19, 2014||Aston Villa 0 - Southampton 0||EPL|
|Apr 12, 2014||Southampton 0 - Cardiff City 1||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Manchester City 4 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Southampton 4 - Newcastle 0||EPL|
|Mar 23, 2014||Tottenham 3 - Southampton 2||EPL|
|6||Jose Rocha Fonte||Defender|
|21||Guilherme Do Prado||Midfielder|
|33||Steve de Ridder||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed