Preview: Chelsea - Southampton
After a 5-1 win for the holders against Nigel Adkins' side in the FA Cup, the stage is set for a rematch at Stamford Bridge just 11 days after the demolition at St Mary's
By Tom McKeown
Ivanovic, Terry, Luiz, Cole
Hazard, Mata, Bertrand
Clyne, Yoshida, Hooiveld, Fox
Puncheon, Cork, Schneiderlin, Ramirez
John Terry is set for a return to the Chelsea starting lineup after spending two months on the sidelines with a knee injury, while Demba Ba is likely to keep his place up front ahead of Fernando Torres.
Yossi Benayoun and Oriel Romeu (both knee) are Rafael Benitez’s only casualties so Terry’s return looks likely to be the only change from the 4-0 win at Stoke, with Torres remaining on the bench.
Nigel Adkins is likely to name the same lineup as Saturday’s win at Aston Villa with the exception of Luke Shaw, who suffered a nasty gash on his right knee in Saints’ 1-0 win, meaning Danny Fox is set to deputise for the 17-year-old.
Jose Fonte (knee) was stretchered off in the 5-1 FA Cup defeat to the Blues and is still out, meaning Jos Hooiveld keeps his place alongside Maya Yoshida, while Adam Lallana (knee) also remains sidelined.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea’s 5-1 FA Cup win over Southampton was the Blues' biggest ever win over Saints.
- The Stamford Bridge side has won its last five matches against Southampton in all competitions; its last defeat to Saints coming at home on New Year’s Day 2002.
- The Blues have beaten the south coast side 20 times at home, with 12 draws and 12 victories for the visitors.
- Frank Lampard (pictured right) notched his 194th Chelsea goal in the 4-0 win at Stoke, moving him ahead of Blues legend Kerry Dixon to second on Chelsea’s all-time top-scorer list.
- Nigel Adkins’ side has taken 17 points out of a possible 33, losing only two of its last 11 Premier League games.
- Rickie Lambert’s penalty against Aston Villa – his ninth Premier League goal of the season – maintained his percent record from the spot, with 29 spot kicks scored out of 29.
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea 3-0 Southampton
- 13.18 %
Chelsea 3-1 Southampton
- 10.78 %
Chelsea 4-0 Southampton
- 9.56 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 1, 2014||Southampton 0 - Chelsea 3|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 1, 2013||Chelsea 3 - Southampton 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 30, 2013||Southampton 2 - Chelsea 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 16, 2013||Chelsea 2 - Southampton 2|
|FA Cup (FA)||Jan 5, 2013||Southampton 1 - Chelsea 5|
|Mar 8, 2014||Chelsea 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 1, 2014||Fulham 1 - Chelsea 3||EPL|
|Feb 26, 2014||Galatasaray 1 - Chelsea 1||UCL|
|Feb 22, 2014||Chelsea 1 - Everton 0||EPL|
|Feb 15, 2014||Manchester City 2 - Chelsea 0||FA|
|21||Guilherme Do Prado||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed