Premier League Preview: Stoke - Newcastle
Tony Pulis' side can move into the top half of the Premier League table with a win over a Toon team that has lost three consecutive games and is beset with fitness issues.
By Nicholas McGee
Shotton, Shawcross, Huth, Cameron
Walters, Whelan, N'Zonzi, Adam Etherington
Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon
Anita, Tiote, Gutierrez
Sa Ameobi, Cisse, Ba
Stoke welcomes Newcastle to the Britannia Stadium with a number of notable absentees. Rory Delap (hernia) will definitely miss out, as will Andy Wilkinson (back). Michael Owen (hamstring) is a doubt to face his former club, while Marc Wilson (broken leg) remains on the sidelines.
However, Stoke's injury problems seem relatively meager compared to those of Newcastle, which travels to North Staffordshire with eight players out through injury.
Steven Taylor (hamstring) is the latest player to enter the treatment room, and is set to miss several weeks of action. Shola Ameobi (groin) is still out, as is Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring). Gabriel Obertan (toe) is yet to return to full fitness, and Yohan Cabaye (groin) is expected to be out until February.
Dan Gosling (knee) is still absent, whilst Ryan Taylor and Haris Vuckic (both knee ligament) are long-term absentees and are not likely to play again this season.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Stoke is undefeated in its last 13 home matches in the Premier League and has conceded just one goal at the Britannia Stadium this term.
- Newcastle has won just 10 times in 41 visits to the Potteries, however it has only lost once in the north Midlands since the Potters' return to the top flight.
- Peter Crouch has scored four times for Stoke this season and is just eight short of 100 goals in domestic competition.
- Demba Ba (pictured right) has scored four goals in four Premier League games against Stoke and scored a hat trick in Newcastle's 3-1 win at the Britannia Stadium last term.
- The Magpies' 0-0 draw with Tony Pulis' side in the third Round of the FA Cup in 2008 proved to be the end for former boss Sam Allardyce, who was sacked just a few days later.
- Stoke striker Michael Owen scored at a rate of 0.37 goals per game in a four-year spell at St James' Park but has yet to score for his new club.
Top 3 Predictions
Stoke 1-1 Newcastle
- 14.85 %
Stoke 1-0 Newcastle
- 12.66 %
Stoke 1-2 Newcastle
- 12.23 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 10, 2013||Newcastle 2 - Stoke 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 28, 2012||Stoke 2 - Newcastle 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 21, 2012||Newcastle 3 - Stoke 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Oct 31, 2011||Stoke 1 - Newcastle 3|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 19, 2011||Stoke 4 - Newcastle 0|
|Dec 7, 2013||Stoke 3 - Chelsea 2||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Stoke 0 - Cardiff City 0||EPL|
|Nov 30, 2013||Everton 4 - Stoke 0||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Stoke 2 - Sunderland 0||EPL|
|Nov 10, 2013||Swansea City 3 - Stoke 3||EPL|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed