Premier League Preview: Wigan - Reading
Roberto Martinez has is short a few starters as the Latics prepare to face Brian McDermott's side, which seeks to continue its unbeaten run of four games.
By Arthur Virgo
Lopez, Ramis, Figueroa
Boyce, McCarthy, Jones, Beausejour
Maloney, Kone, Di Santo
Gunter, Morrison, Gorkss, Shorey
Robson-Kanu, Tabb, Leigertwood, McAnuff
Le Fondre, Roberts
Wigan is still without the injured Antolin Alcaraz (groin) in defense, while fellow center back and captain Gary Caldwell is also ruled out (hamstring), so Adrian Lopez could start in his place.
Midfielders James McArthur (hip) and Albert Crusat (knee) are unavailable, while Ben Watson (broken leg) was injured against Liverpool, so David Jones or playmaker Jordi Gomez could start in central midfield.
Reading could field an unchanged lineup from its last match, with goalkeeper Alex McCarthy (shoulder) still unavailable and central midfielders Danny Guthrie (thigh) and Jem Karacan (knee) yet to recover from injuries.
Hal Robson-Kanu could retain his place on the right wing ahead of Garath McCleary, and Jimmy Kebe (groin) is doubtful. Adam Le Fondre started up front last weekend alongside Jason Roberts in a front two, but Noel Hunt and Pavel Pogrebnyak will also be fighting for a starting spot.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan has won just one of its six Premier League games this season at the DW Stadium, losing three and conceding at least two goals in all but one of them.
- Reading has failed to win any of its five away matches in the Premier League so far this season, losing three and drawing two.
- The Royals have won five and lost none of their last seven home matches against Wigan; however, they have only managed one win in the top-flight this term.
- Wigan has not gained any points from a losing position this season and is the only Premier League side to have failed to do so.
- The visitors have not won a single one of the four Premier League games they have scored first in this season, conceding each a lead to draw all four.
- Jobi McAnuff has provided 29 percent of Reading’s assists this season, the highest proportion in the top-flight.
- Reading striker Jason Roberts (pictured right) won promotion to the Premier League with Wigan in 2005 before moving to Blackburn in 2006, where he scored in each of the three matches against the Latics where he played at least 30 minutes.
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 1-2 Reading
- 18.18 %
Wigan Athletic 2-1 Reading
- 14.88 %
Wigan Athletic 1-1 Reading
- 13.22 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 23, 2013||Reading 0 - Wigan Athletic 3|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 24, 2012||Wigan Athletic 3 - Reading 2|
|May 19, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|May 14, 2013||Arsenal 4 - Wigan Athletic 1||EPL|
|May 11, 2013||Manchester City 0 - Wigan Athletic 1||FA|
|May 7, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Swansea City 3||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||West Bromwich 2 - Wigan Athletic 3||EPL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
|9||Adam Le Fondre||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed