thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • November 24, 2012
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • Old Trafford, Manchester
  • Referee: L. Probert
  • • Attendance: 75603

Manchester United 3-1 QPR: Hosts move top with trademark second-half comeback

Manchester United 3-1 QPR: Hosts move top with trademark second-half comeback

Getty Images

Sir Alex Ferguson's side kept its title challenge on course with a win over the beleaguered Rs, as Darren Fletcher marked his first league start in a year with a goal

MANCHESTER -- Manchester United posted yet another come from behind victory as it beat QPR 3-1 at Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon.

Jamie Mackie gave the Hoops a shock lead with his second-half tap-in but headers from Jonny Evans and Darren Fletcher turned the game on its head before Chicharito completed the scoring.

Sir Alex Ferguson restored several first-team heavyweights to his starting XI, after a young United slipped to defeat against Galatasaray on Tuesday evening. Fletcher was handed his first Premier League start since November 5 2011, while Wayne Rooney proved fit enough to earn a place in midfield.

Meanwhile, QPR caretaker manager Mark Bowen made five changes to the QPR side which lost to Southampton, with Esteban Granero and Junior Hoilett among the high-profile casualties.

The hosts spent much of the first ten minutes sizing up the opposition, with Adel Taarabt’s mazy runs the only highlight of an opening short of quality. But, predictably, it was United who carved out the first opportunity of note, as Robin van Persie’s deflected effort put Paul Scholes through on goal, though the Englishman could not divert the ball past a mass of defenders from six yards.

The visitors had a rare sight of goal in the opening 30 minutes, but Mackie failed to get his shot off in time after robbing Scholes at the edge of the box. With eight minutes of the half remaining the Scot would actually have the ball in the net, only to be denied by the linesman’s flag. He met a pinpoint Cisse cross from the right to nod beyond Anders Lindegaard but saw his hopes immediately dashed by the assistant referee’s entirely correct call. It would be the last chance of note before halftime.

The Red Devils looked no more switched on when play resumed but were made to pay for their lackadaisical approach as the visitors took a shock lead almost immediately. A well-worked corner allowed Kieron Dyer in at the back post and, after Lindegaard failed to get a strong hand to the cross, Mackie found himself with a tap-in from two yards.

That goal prompted Sir Alex Ferguson to replace Ashley Young and Paul Scholes with Chicharito and Anderson respectively and the Scot was rewarded as his side equalized not long after. A corner from the left-hand side was nodded back across goal by Welbeck and Evans was on hand to head home with the QPR defense all at sea.

The tide visibly turned as a result of that strike, and United did not need long to complete the comeback. Another corner from the left-hand side was QPR’s undoing again and this time it was Fletcher who rose highest to head home and mark his return to league football with a goal.

And  substitute Chicharito, who has been in lethal form of late, was not to be denied a goal of his own and passed the ball in after a brilliant through ball from Anderson soon after.

Follow on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!