Premier League Preview: Manchester City - Aston Villa
The champion is the only undefeated side remaining in the league and defends its impressive home record against Paul Lambert's side, which has won just won of its last 13 away.
By Tom McKeown
Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Toure Y, Barry
Silva, Tevez, Nasri
Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Stevens
Weimann, Westwood, Ireland, Bannan
Joleon Lescott looks set to return to the Manchester City side for Saturday’s visit of Aston Villa after recovering from a back injury, while Samir Nasri should make a comeback from illness.
Gael Clichy (back) should be fit to play after withdrawing from the France squad in midweek. James Milner and Jack Rodwell (both hamstring) are pushing for a return, while Matija Nastasic is fighting to recover from a knee knock.
Enda Stevens could keep his place in the Aston Villa side after deputizing for the suspended Eric Lichaj against Manchester United last week, while Darren Bent (ankle) is struggling to recover.
Joe Bennett and Chris Herd (both knee) are still sidelined for Villa, with Paul Lambert likely to name the same XI that lost 3-2 to the Red Devils.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City is unbeaten in the Premier League this season, and hasn’t lost at home in the top flight in 35 matches - a run that started with a 4-0 win over Aston Villa in December 2010.
- Mario Balotelli (pictured right) has four goals in two Premier League games against Aston Villa, and six in four appearances in all competitions against it.
- Joleon Lescott has scored more goals against Villa (five) than against any other Premier League side.
- Penalties are a common occurrence in this fixture, with five spot-kicks awarded in their last eight meetings.
- City has scored in every one of its last 37 Premier League home games.
- Roberto Mancini’s side has won 14 points from losing positions this season - only Manchester United (15) has recovered more.
- Before its last away league game – a 1-0 win at Sunderland – Paul Lambert’s side had gone 13 Premier League away games without a win.
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City 2-0 Aston Villa
- 14.29 %
Manchester City 3-1 Aston Villa
- 11.67 %
Manchester City 3-0 Aston Villa
- 11.49 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 28, 2013||Aston Villa 3 - Manchester City 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 4, 2013||Aston Villa 0 - Manchester City 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 17, 2012||Manchester City 5 - Aston Villa 0|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||Sep 25, 2012||Manchester City 2 - Aston Villa 4|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 12, 2012||Aston Villa 0 - Manchester City 1|
|Dec 21, 2013||Fulham 2 - Manchester City 4||EPL|
|Dec 17, 2013||Leicester 1 - Manchester City 3||CCUP|
|Dec 14, 2013||Manchester City 6 - Arsenal 3||EPL|
|Dec 10, 2013||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 3||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Southampton 1 - Manchester City 1||EPL|
|8||Karim El Ahmadi||Midfielder|
|21||Jordan Nathaniel Bowery||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed