Premier League Preview: Liverpool - Wigan
Roberto Martinez was nearly appointed Anfield manager over the summer, and will be hoping for a repeat of last season's famous win, with the Merseysiders in decent form.
By Theo Squires
Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson
Gerrard, Allen, Sahin
Suso, Suarez, Sterling
Ramis, Caldwell, Figueroa
Boyce, Watson, McCarthy, Beausejour
Kone, Di Santo
Brendan Rodgers has a selection headache ahead of Liverpool's game on home to Wigan on Saturday with Pepe Reina pushing for a recall in goal in the place of Brad Jones after recovering from a hamstring problem.
Jonjo Shelvey (knee) and Martin Skrtel (virus) should return after missing last weekend's trip to Stamford Bridge, while Daniel Agger is confident of overcoming a groin strain to play, after pulling out of the Denmark squad in midweek.
Fabio Borini (foot) and Martin Kelly (knee) both remain absent for the Reds, and the game will come too soon for Lucas Leiva (thigh) after he returned to training earlier this week.
Wigan hope to welcome back on loan Arsenal winger Ryo Miyaichi ahead of their trip to Anfield following a groin injury, but James McArthur (thigh) remains doubtful.
Ali Al Habsi is fit, despite concerns over a shoulder injury he picked up against West Brom, after playing for Oman during the week, as Roberto Martinez is expected to name an unchanged side for the third Premier League game in a row.
Antolin Alcaraz (groin) and Albert Crusat (knee) both remain long-term absentees for the Latics.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool has failed to beat Wigan in each of its last five meetings, with its last win coming on Dec. 16, 2009.
- Luis Suarez has scored eight Premier League goals so far this season. He did not reach that tally until April last year.
- The Uruguayan has either scored or assisted 11 of Liverpool's 14 goals in the League this season, and has scored in each of his last four games.
- Roberto Martinez's side's victory over the Reds at Anfield last season was their first ever away win against Liverpool.
- Shaun Maloney scored his first goal for the Latics in the fixture last season. It was his first goal in English soccer since Boxing Day 2007.
- Arouna Kone (pictured right) was a member of the PSV that faced Liverpool four times in the 2006-07 Champions League season. Kone featured in three of the games as the Dutch side lost three and drew one.
- The referee for Saturday's game is Kevin Friend. He took charge of this fixture back in 2010-11 when Raul Meireles' opener for the Reds were cancelled out by Steve Gohouri.
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 3-0 Wigan Athletic
- 20.66 %
Liverpool 2-0 Wigan Athletic
- 18.25 %
Liverpool 2-1 Wigan Athletic
- 12.17 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 2, 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Liverpool 4|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 17, 2012||Liverpool 3 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 24, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 21, 2011||Wigan Athletic 0 - Liverpool 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Feb 12, 2011||Liverpool 1 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|Apr 13, 2014||Liverpool 3 - Manchester City 2||EPL|
|Apr 6, 2014||West Ham 1 - Liverpool 2||EPL|
|Mar 30, 2014||Liverpool 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 26, 2014||Liverpool 2 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|Mar 22, 2014||Cardiff City 3 - Liverpool 6||EPL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed