Premier League Preview: Manchester City - Tottenham
The Premier League champion suffered a frustrating 2-2 draw with Ajax in the Champions League, and Spurs' Europa League campaign was boosted with a convincing win over Maribor.
By Tom J Doyle
Zabaleta, Kompany, Nastasic, Clichy
Nasri, Barry, Toure, Silva
Walker, Caulker, Gallas, Vertonghen
Lennon, Dempsey, Bale
Manchester City is likely to be without Joleon Lescott (back), Jack Rodwell and James Milner (both hamstring), while Micah Richards (knee) has been ruled out until late December.
David Silva (hamstring) was expected to be fit to start against Tottenham, but a place on the substitutes' bench is much more likely. Maicon (ankle) is likely to be fit and in contention for a starting role at right back.
Emmanuel Adebayor and Jermain Defoe combined well in the 3-1 win over Maribor, with the latter bagging a hat trick, but Andre Villas-Boas is expected to revert back to his tried-and-test 4-5-1 formation for the away trip.
Hugo Lloris was partly at blame for the Slovenian side's goal, so Brad Friedel will likely return between the posts. Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Mousa Dembele (knee) still have no return date from injury with Scott Parker (Achilles) and Jake Livermore (knock) also expected to miss out.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City has won the last three league games between the sides, including a 5-1 reverse at White Hart Lane in August 2011.
- Samir Nasri has scored in three of his last four league appearances against Tottenham, and provided three assists in the one game he failed to register a goal.
- Edin Dzeko has just one less goal (five) than the rest of Manchester City's striking line-up put together.
- Only two of the last 18 league meetings between the sides have ended in a goalless draw.
- All of Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe's five Premier League goals this season have come from inside the box.
- Andre Villas-Boas' side is one win away from 300 in the Premier League.
- Spurs have won away against Manchester City nine times - only Chelsea and Arsenal (10) have a better record.
- The north London outfit has won seven of its last 11 league visits to City.
Use the code, “GOAL” by game day to receive $100 off of Dempsey’s limited edition Jorg Gray game timer.
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City 1-2 Tottenham
- 17.4 %
Manchester City 2-1 Tottenham
- 12.79 %
Manchester City 2-0 Tottenham
- 8.88 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 24, 2013||Manchester City 6 - Tottenham 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 21, 2013||Tottenham 3 - Manchester City 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 11, 2012||Manchester City 2 - Tottenham 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 22, 2012||Manchester City 3 - Tottenham 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Aug 28, 2011||Tottenham 1 - Manchester City 5|
|Dec 17, 2013||Leicester 1 - Manchester City 3||CCUP|
|Dec 14, 2013||Manchester City 6 - Arsenal 3||EPL|
|Dec 10, 2013||Bayern 2 - Manchester City 3||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Southampton 1 - Manchester City 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||West Bromwich 2 - Manchester City 3||EPL|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed