Premier League Preview: Southampton - Fulham
Martin Jol will be trying to arrest his side's poor away form against a shaky home defense, but he faces a big challenge without the injured Dimitar Berbatov pulling the strings.
By Tom J Doyle
Clyne, Yoshida, Fonte, Fox
Puncheon, Ramirez, Ward-Prowse, Lallana
Riether, Hughes, Hangelaand, Riise
Ruiz, Baird, Sidwell, Duff
Home side Southampton has a clean bill of health save from youngster Jack Cork, who will be out for a minimum of five weeks after suffering a knee injury during last week's League Cup tie.
The Saints have no suspended players either, so Nigel Adkins will be able to work with a near-full squad of players, which will be heartening given the club's poor start to the 2012-13 campaign. Morgan Schneiderlin should be back for the hosts to screen Fulham's attacks in front of the defense, while Ricky Lambert and Jose Fonte returned during last week's 3-1 defeat at Everton.
The visitors have more to worry about in terms of injuries, with striker Dimitar Berbatov (thigh) out until at least Oct. 20. Kerim Frei (groin) has returned to training and is in contention for his first Fulham appearance of the season, and Phillippe Senderos (foot) could be back to bolster the back line.
Simon Davies (neck) could also make his return but has no set return date as of yet, while Mahamadou Diarra (knee) is out until at least November.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Southampton has lost five of its last six matches in the Premier League.
- The Saints have dropped nine points from winning positions this season.
- 83 percent of Southampton's matches have had more than two goals scored in total.
- Southampton has conceded at least two goals in five of its last six matches in the Premier League.
- There have been more than two goals scored in Fulham's last six games in the Premier League
- Fulham is undefeated in its last five matches against Southampton in all competitions.
- 78 percent of Fulham's conceded goals were conceded away.
- Southampton has played Fulham six times at home, with each side winning three games.
- Fulham's Giorgos Karagounis (pictured) is one goal away from 50 career strikes in league play in a decorated career that has seen him play in the Greek Super League, Serie A and Portuguese Liga.
Top 3 Predictions
Southampton 1-2 Fulham
- 15.43 %
Southampton 1-1 Fulham
- 9.65 %
Southampton 2-1 Fulham
- 7.72 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Dec 26, 2012||Fulham 1 - Southampton 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Oct 7, 2012||Southampton 2 - Fulham 2|
|May 19, 2013||Southampton 1 - Stoke 1||EPL|
|May 12, 2013||Sunderland 1 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||Tottenham 1 - Southampton 0||EPL|
|Apr 27, 2013||Southampton 0 - West Bromwich 3||EPL|
|Apr 20, 2013||Swansea City 0 - Southampton 0||EPL|
|6||Jose Rocha Fonte||Defender|
|21||Guilherme Do Prado||Midfielder|
|7||John Arne Riise||Defender|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed