thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • October 7, 2012
  • • 11:00 AM
  • • St. James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Referee: H. Webb
  • • Attendance: 52203

Newcastle 0-3 Manchester United: Evans, Evra and Cleverley fire United up to second

United headed itself into a comfortable position in the opening 20 minutes of an action-packed half, before going on to secure all three points at the Sports Direct Arena.

Manchester United recorded a 3-0 victory over Newcastle on Sunday, courtesy of two goals from corners in the first half and a Tom Cleverley peach after the break.

Alan Pardew recalled Jonas Gutierrez, Hatem Ben Arfa and Demba Ba for the clash. Shane Ferguson was awarded a starting place with defenders Fabriccio Coloccini and Steven Taylor sidelined.

Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Danny Welbeck all started for the visiting side in a very attacking lineup, with Shinji Kagawa also in XI.

The Red Devils made a bright start to the game, Welbeck failing to add the final touch to a brilliant flowing move in the first five minutes after Jonny Evans' back heel.

Ferguson's men went one better moments later, though, when Newcastle conceded a corner after Van Persie's toe poke. The Dutch forward took the set piece himself, which Evans thumped into the back of the net with a powerful header.

The home team looked to hit back instantly as Ben Arfa tricked his way past a string of opponents, but failed to find a teammate with his cross. Then the away side came forward again as Rafael riffled a shot just wide.

With still under 15 minutes played, Welbeck should have doubled the lead after an awful error by Stephen Harper. The Magpies' stopper tried to dribble past the forward but was dispossessed, only to have his blushes spared by the England international who missed the open goal.

Minutes later, however, Ferguson's men did make it two. Rooney's free kick was tipped behind by Harper, however the keeper could do nothing to deny Patrice Evra heading the striker's resulting corner home.

Jonas Gutierrez offered some resistance for Pardew's side, firing narrowly wide from outside the box, with Ba also blazing over as the game approached the half-hour mark, but the moments of danger came squeezed in between longer periods of Manchester United dominance.

The home side worked its way back into the fixture as halftime drew near. Yohan Cabaye and Ba both had half chances, the former going close from range and the latter flicking a volley over the bar. United was also lucky to avoid conceding a penalty when Evra's shirt tug on Papiss Cisse went unpunished just before the break.

Newcastle thought it had pulled a goal back early in the second period, when Cisse's header was clawed away by David de Gea, though Magpies players and fans alike were convinced it crossed the line - all that after the keeper tipped Ba's header onto the crossbar.

The half was generally quieter than the first after that. Rooney saw a strike parried away by Harper, before Ben Arfa's touch and shot went wide. Then, Van Persie had the ball in the net, but was flagged for offside.

As the home side's search for a lifeline continued, Cleverley secured the win for his team with a stunning curling effort that flew into the top corner 20 minutes from time. However, only the midfielder will know if he meant it, or if he was looking for Van Persie's back-post run. Nevertheless the goal wrapped up the three points and sees Ferguson's men climb to second place in the table.

Follow GOAL.COM USA on