After differing results in the League Cup, the domestically high-flying Toffees welcome the Saints to Merseyside aiming to build on their superb start to the campaign.
Hibbert, Distin, Jagielka, Baines
Mirallas, Osman, Neville, Pienaar
Clyne, Fonte, Fox, Yoshida
Ramirez, S.Davis, Schneiderlin, Lallana
Everton boss David Moyes will make a raft of changes from the side that limped out of the League Cup on Wednesday.
Starters such as Phil Jagielka, Phil Neville and Steven Pienaar are all likely to come back into the first-team fold. Nikica Jelavic (knee) should feature after making his comeback from injury in the 2-1 loss to Leeds. Tony Hibbert (knock) should also return to first-team action for the clash with Southampton.
After making 10 changes for the League Cup win over Sheffield Wednesday, Nigel Adkins is expected to shuffle his Southampton pack again, re-introducing the team that shocked Aston Villa 4-1 last weekend.
Top goalscorer Rickie Lambert will lead the line again with key players, Morgan Schneiderlin and Jose Fonte returning. But youngster Jack Cork will be out for a minimum of six weeks after sustaining a knee injury during Tuesday’s cup tie.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Everton has won five and lost none of its last seven matches against Southampton at Goodison Park.
- The Toffees have hit the woodwork six times this season, more than any other team in the top flight.
- David Moyes’s side has fired in more shots than any other team in the Premier League (102).
- Everton has lost just one of its last 14 Premier League matches (W8 D5 L1).
- All five of the goals Everton has conceded have been shipped in the second half.
- Southampton has allowed a joint-high 30 shots on target against them this season.
- The Saints have dropped a joint-league high six points from winning positions this season.