Premier League Preview: Wigan - Fulham
The west London outfit is looking to build on its 3-0 win over West Brom last weekend and faces a home side short on confidence after a drubbing at Manchester United
By Andy Sixsmith
Caldwell, Boyce, Ramis, Figueroa
McCarthy, Maloney, McArthur, Beausejour
Kone, Di Santo
Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Hughes
Riether, Sidwell, Duff, Kacaniklic
There are no fresh injury worries for Roberto Martinez following the club’s 4-0 defeat against Manchester United last Saturday.
Antolin Alcaraz should make his comeback from a hip injury, but may have to settle for a place on the bench, due to the form of summer signing, Ivan Ramis.
Saturday’s match could very well be a case of, ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ for Martin Jol as he is set to name an unchanged team from the 3-0 defeat of West Brom.
The match could come too soon for the returns of Bryan Ruiz and Phillippe Senderos, but new midfield signing Giorgos Karagounis is pushing for a start.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan’s recent home form could help to defy its dismal record against Fulham – Roberto Martinez’s men have lost just one of their last seven Premier League home games.
- Expect a penalty on Saturday – Wigan has conceded more spot-kicks than any other Premier League side in 2012 with 11 so far.
- However, scoring may be a problem for the Latics on Saturday – they have only netted eight times in 14 games against Fulham and never more than once in any of those matches.
- The game sees Hugo Rodallega make his return to the DW Stadium – the Fulham summer signing scored 23 goals in 112 appearances for Wigan.
- Fulham is the epitome of a ‘bogey team’ for Wigan – the Latics have not beaten the Cottagers in their last 11 games between the two.
- Do not expect a draw on Saturday - Fulham has not drawn a Premier League away game in 2012, winning three and losing eight.
- Ali Al-Habsi (pictured right) may be a busy goalkeeper on Saturday - Fulham has had more shots on target than any other team in the Premier League, with 34.
- Fulham has only conceded six goals this season, all of which have come before halftime.
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 1-2 Fulham
- 17.12 %
Wigan Athletic 0-2 Fulham
- 13.62 %
Wigan Athletic 1-3 Fulham
- 10.9 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 12, 2013||Fulham 1 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 22, 2012||Wigan Athletic 1 - Fulham 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Apr 21, 2012||Fulham 2 - Wigan Athletic 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Oct 29, 2011||Wigan Athletic 0 - Fulham 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 15, 2011||Wigan Athletic 1 - Fulham 1|
|May 19, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|May 14, 2013||Arsenal 4 - Wigan Athletic 1||EPL|
|May 11, 2013||Manchester City 0 - Wigan Athletic 1||FA|
|May 7, 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Swansea City 3||EPL|
|May 4, 2013||West Bromwich 2 - Wigan Athletic 3||EPL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|7||John Arne Riise||Defender|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed