Premier League Preview: Liverpool - Manchester United
Brendan Rodgers' side, which beat Young Boys 5-3 on Thursday, welcomes its bitter rivals to Anfield in the first home game since the revelations over the Hillsborough disaster
By Tom McKeown
G. Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique
Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey
Borini, Suarez, Sterling
Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Buttner
Valencia, Kagawa, Nani
Liverpool is likely to make just one change from the draw at Sunderland last weekend, with Jose Enrique returning to Brendan Rodgers’ side in place of Martin Kelly.
Fabio Borini and Raheem Sterling, both substitutes in the 5-3 win at Young Boys on Thursday, should come back into the starting lineup to provide support for Luis Suarez, who was not in the squad for the Europa League encounter.
Joe Cole (hamstring) and Lucas (thigh) remain Rodgers' only injury concerns within his squad.
Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young may return to the Manchester United bench, and could feature at some point at Anfield. But Robin van Persie is likely to lead the line, with support from Shinji Kagawa.
David de Gea was in goal for the Red Devils’ 1-0 win over Galatasaray in midweek and is set to keep his place between the posts, and Alexander Buttner may retain his place in the XI after a goalscoring performance against Wigan last weekend.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- In their last five Premier League meetings, both sides have been on the scoresheet; the last time a side kept a clean sheet in this fixture was in October 2010 when Liverpool won 2-0.
- Brendan Rodgers’ side is still looking for its first clean sheet of this season, having kept 11 in the Premier League last year
- Liverpool has had 75 shots so far this season – the most in the league – but only 15 of them have been on target.
- Luis Suarez (pictured right) has created more goalscoring chances than anyone in the Premier League (12), but has yet to register an assist.
- Nemanja Vidic and Michael Carrick are the only two players to have started all four Premier League games for Manchester United this term.
- Danny Welbeck has yet to have a shot on target in the Premier League, despite 10 attempts so far this season; seven of them came in last week’s win over Wigan.
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 1-3 Manchester United
- 15.99 %
Liverpool 2-1 Manchester United
- 13.7 %
Liverpool 1-2 Manchester United
- 12.41 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 16, 2014||Manchester United 0 - Liverpool 3|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||Sep 25, 2013||Manchester United 1 - Liverpool 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 1, 2013||Liverpool 1 - Manchester United 0|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 13, 2013||Manchester United 2 - Liverpool 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 23, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Manchester United 2|
|Apr 20, 2014||Norwich City 2 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|Apr 13, 2014||Liverpool 3 - Manchester City 2||EPL|
|Apr 6, 2014||West Ham 1 - Liverpool 2||EPL|
|Mar 30, 2014||Liverpool 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|Mar 26, 2014||Liverpool 2 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed