Premier League Preview: Everton - Newcastle
The Merseyside outfit will be hoping to bounce back from defeat to West Brom before the international break as Alan Pardew must contend with a growing injury list.
By James McManus
Neville, Jagielka, Distin, Baines
Naismith, Gibson, Fellaini, Pienaar
Anita, Coloccini, S.Taylor, Santon
Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez
Ben Arfa, Cisse, Ba
David Moyes has a full strength squad to choose from for this home fixture, with both Darron Gibson and Steven Pienaar returning after short spells out. The Scot will be bidding to get his side back to winning ways after a sloppy 2-0 defeat away at West Brom before the international break.
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew, though, faces a mini injury crisis already, just a matter of weeks into the new league season. Danny Simpson limped out of the club's 1-1 draw last weekend with Aston Villa at home with a hamstring injury, meaning the versatile Vurnon Anita moved to right back in his place.
Ryan Taylor remains a long-term concern having suffered a cruciate ligament injury during the Europa League clash against Atromitos, while both Sammy and Shola Ameobi look set to miss out with hamstring injuries.
Tim Krul should recover in time from an elbow injury sustained while on duty with Holland and Fabricio Coloccini should return from his own hamstring injury. A late fitness check with also be run on influential midfielder Cheick Tiote, after being ruled out recently with a groin strain.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Everton emerged victorious in this very same fixture back in May of last season, winning 3-1, with Johnny Heitinga, Steven Pienaar and Nikica Jelavic among the goals.
- The starting XI which played in Everton's last league fixture against West Brom had 315 international caps between them.
- By comparison, Alan Pardew's starting XI against Aston Villa had just 124 international appearances between them.
- Jelavic (pictured right) now has ten goals from his first 16 league outings in England and 40 goals in 61 games in Britain.
- Newcastle has failed to keep a clean sheet in its opening three league games.
- Demba Ba has scored just one goal while playing alongside compatriot Papiss Cisse at club level.
- The Magpies have averaged 52 percent possession in the league so far this term.
Top 3 Predictions
Everton 2-1 Newcastle
- 16.15 %
Everton 1-2 Newcastle
- 14.18 %
Everton 1-1 Newcastle
- 9.34 %
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Jan 2, 2013||Newcastle 1 - Everton 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Sep 17, 2012||Everton 2 - Newcastle 2|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||May 13, 2012||Everton 3 - Newcastle 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Nov 5, 2011||Newcastle 2 - Everton 1|
|English Premier League (EPL) (EPL)||Mar 5, 2011||Newcastle 1 - Everton 2|
|May 19, 2013||Chelsea 2 - Everton 1||EPL|
|May 12, 2013||Everton 2 - West Ham 0||EPL|
|May 5, 2013||Liverpool 0 - Everton 0||EPL|
|Apr 27, 2013||Everton 1 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|Apr 20, 2013||Sunderland 1 - Everton 0||EPL|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed